Let's talk about Destroyers

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Let's talk about Destroyers

Post by Guitarbilly »

Ibanez Destroyers, that is. I always loved these guitars and I'm seriously considering buying one.
Obviously the 70s Korina Explorer copies are out of question because of their prices. But I like the ones with the revised shape anyway. So which series are the good ones? Are the MIK and MII also good or only MIJ? Anything I should aware of??

zozobra

Re: Let's talk about Destroyers

Post by zozobra »

The dtt700 slaps if you can find one.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I remember the first time I saw a Destroyer was in the liner booklet that came with likely Piece of Mind. If they made any of those in set neck format, that would be cool. I just don’t like the idea of a bolt on Explorer.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

macaronisalad wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:01 am I remember the first time I saw a Destroyer was in the liner booklet that came with likely Piece of Mind. If they made any of those in set neck format, that would be cool. I just don’t like the idea of a bolt on Explorer.
dtt700 is thru :lol:

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

zozobra wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:54 am
macaronisalad wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:01 am I remember the first time I saw a Destroyer was in the liner booklet that came with likely Piece of Mind. If they made any of those in set neck format, that would be cool. I just don’t like the idea of a bolt on Explorer.
dtt700 is thru :lol:
Well that is perfect then! I am unfamiliar with that era of Ibanez stuff for the most part.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah their models are confusing but they do have several setneck and neckthrough versions.

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

There was a time I wanted an Iceman... but that time is long gone. Once I started moving away from shreddy guitars I started loosing interest in Ibanez.

I had an Explorer for awhile, and while it was a cool guitar I thought it sounded similar enough to a Les Paul that I didn't really think it brought anything new to the table.

DFGrueban

Post by DFGrueban »

I like the look of the Schecter E-1 but have never played one so they could be complete trash.

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

screamingdaisy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:43 pm There was a time I wanted an Iceman... but that time is long gone. Once I started moving away from shreddy guitars I started loosing interest in Ibanez.

I had an Explorer for awhile, and while it was a cool guitar I thought it sounded similar enough to a Les Paul that I didn't really think it brought anything new to the table.
Explorer: looks cool. Fucken riffs, son.
LP: grandpas. Never got over the 70's.

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

zozobra wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:51 am
Explorer: looks cool. Fucken riffs, son.
LP: grandpas. Never got over the 70's.
I hate to tell this to you, but the '70s are Great Grampa's territory. Explorers and Flying Vs are the current grandpa guitars now.