Actual amp “tech” question!

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Actual amp “tech” question!

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'd suggest a delay with an output volume control like the DD500, you can program it so it boosts the volume when the delay is on, or even 2 presets, one for rhythm at unity gain and one for leads with a +2-3dB volume boost. I've been doing that for a while and it just simplifies everything. The DD500, EVH, Tc2290, Strymon Timeline and the Free The Tone Flight Time (which I am using currently) all have that feature and it's really handy.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Dave Davidson's Eidolon pedal is a delay/reverb/boost all in one pedal. I've been tempted to get it, but the DM does what I need, so I haven't lol. Of course, being out of stock is also a problem haha.

https://dunableguitars.com/products/eid ... 3122750627
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

ninjaraf wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:51 pm Yeah, makes sense.

I have recently started playing a few solos, and my solution is also a small pedalboard with only 3 pedals. Wireless/tuner, gate, and a Dispatch Master, which takes care of my delay and reverb. So I just hit the dispatch master, and it's on!! lol

There's always little particular reasons why we each have things set up the way we do, and it always seems to affect stuff like this.
Yeah I use the RV6, on the delay setting which is a perfect lead “effect” for me. I could go bigger with the dd500 and has the added boost but that’s also a bigger pedal and eat up space. In the end I’ve used the 5150 since 95 and I never used a noise gate in the loop to cut hiss until literally the Zuul. That white noise is like a baby and it’s pacifier. Lol. It’s almost relaxing. It really doesn’t bother me much. So just gating the front end so I don’t get all the feedback is all I need. And while I hear all kinds of shit affecting tone, I use the NS2 for my gate in front and I dont hear any negative artifacts at all. I want to say the first ns2 WAY back in the day I thought it did, but I truly don’t hear a difference.

When I tried the NS2 in 4 cable I heard some tone suck and that also created a ground loop issue for sure. I never found a true workaround for that. So I just use it from the guitar and live with the Hiss. And live? I def don’t care about some amp white noise.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:18 pm I'd suggest a delay with an output volume control like the DD500, you can program it so it boosts the volume when the delay is on, or even 2 presets, one for rhythm at unity gain and one for leads with a +2-3dB volume boost. I've been doing that for a while and it just simplifies everything. The DD500, EVH, Tc2290, Strymon Timeline and the Free The Tone Flight Time (which I am using currently) all have that feature and it's really handy.
I think you are a single guitar band?. Cause for this Slayer thing l, 8-9 db boost for leads! We do kinda boost em up front fairly significantly but honestly most sound guys say it’s the perfect amount. Especially if they know Slayer which they boosted their leads a ton too

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Oh damn, I used the NS2 for like 10 years in 4CM and never had a problem. I heard a VERY slight difference from the buffer in the pedal, but I wouldn't call that tone suck (not the way the MXR chorus sucks the ever loving shit out of your tone...too bad because that chorus sounds so damn good!), and never had a ground loop issue.

The noise definitely bothers the fuck out of me haha...so the gate is the most important pedal for me lol.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Endtime wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:16 pm
Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:18 pm I'd suggest a delay with an output volume control like the DD500, you can program it so it boosts the volume when the delay is on, or even 2 presets, one for rhythm at unity gain and one for leads with a +2-3dB volume boost. I've been doing that for a while and it just simplifies everything. The DD500, EVH, Tc2290, Strymon Timeline and the Free The Tone Flight Time (which I am using currently) all have that feature and it's really handy.
I think you are a single guitar band?. Cause for this Slayer thing l, 8-9 db boost for leads! We do kinda boost em up front fairly significantly but honestly most sound guys say it’s the perfect amount. Especially if they know Slayer which they boosted their leads a ton too
Oh yeah you can boost 8 or higher with these pedals. I do 2-3 because as you correctly pointed out, I'm in a trio and don't need much, but that's not a limitation on the pedals.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Little update as I fixed this problem. Honestly I should have gone this route initially. I really don’t know why I didn’t. But one of the times the all mighty supercomputers listening to our words and what we type offered me a video, first in my YouTube feed the other day, from an amp tech lady who was servicing a PV 5150. And it was a solid video, even tho it was nothing actually new to me. It was just a standard service. And part of her standard service besides retension tube sockets and clean with De-Oxit, which I did these things prior. Was she pulled out the preamp board, power board and FX loop board and basically resoldered everything. Found that a bit overkill, but the FX loop board had maybe 30 connections to solder and I didnt ever clean the ribbon cable that comes off the FX loop board.

. So I took the board out. It’s small and is only held in place by the jack nuts. Took it to the shop, cause I’m out of deoxit plus the soldering station there is Way nicer. Cleaned the ribbon cable connections. Resoldered every spot on that board. 4-5 minutes of work. . Felt I had about a 5% chance of actually fixing the issue, but wouldn’t you know it. Gone. Silent as can be now. Also, and this may be some placebo, the amp just sounds better. Even tho my problem only occurred when I activated a pedal, even tho I had pedals in the loop at all times, it just got funny when activated, it does seem logical to assume the issue went a little deeper than that and was always present in some form…

So yeah, amp fixed. I’m happy with that!

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

Awesome! Glad to hear it was an easy fix in the end.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I just watched that video a couple of days ago! lolol