Celestion EVH vs Vintage 30

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
RaceU4her

Re: Celestion EVH vs Vintage 30

Post by RaceU4her »

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

RaceU4her wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:51 pm this is the evh??

https://reverb.com/item/2075903-celesti ... ker-15-ohm
Yep. I have some 8 ohm ones I’d be willing to sell. Altho, for MY amps, I really think the 16 ohm is the way to go. It sounds more like I want but obviously the 8 ohm isnt far off. The xxx which I slightly scoop to get the tone I like, does better with the 8 ohm version. But I think I’m moving on from those. DM if interested in 8 ohm and spending less than new!

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I've always preferred the 16ohms version of every speaker I've tried. Even when the total impedance of the cab is the same.

For example, I have a 4x12 and a 2x12 here with V30s. Both cabs are 16ohms, which means the 4x12 has 4 16ohms speakers in series/parallel and the 2x12 has 2 8ohms in series.
When I close mic them to record, I always end up going with the 16ohms speaker in the 4x12. The mids are smoother and the speaker is more balanced overall. Even a bit scooped (well, as scooped as a v30 can get). The 8ohms have a bit of a spike in the mids.
I know amps react different to different impedance but that's not the case here because the amp is seeing the exact same impedance in both cases. So it's really a difference with the speakers themselves.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Yeah I’m pretty much the same. I went 8 ohm for awhile cause I thought I wanted that but smoother high end. Especially for v30s but all my best sounding cabs are 16 ohm again.

Also for something really pretty close. The Celestion Evh IR is really good. Finding this little blurb it may have been done by other engineers than the other ones cause the Celestion IRs are just ok. Their speaker mix plugin is definitely good and helps get them better but the Evh ir is pretty good loaded into any ir loader.

https://www.celestionplus.com/news/recr ... peaker-ir/

If you like the IR you’ll dig the real thing