Thinking of trying a 2 amp live setup…

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of trying a 2 amp live setup…

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah it would be best to use a DI box with it then.

You could also consider getting a little pedalboard amp and running that into an 1x12. At least it's not 2 heavy tube amps to carry.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:45 pm Yeah it would be best to use a DI box with it then.

You could also consider getting a little pedalboard amp and running that into an 1x12. At least it's not 2 heavy tube amps to carry.
I'm feeling stupid now trying to think about the routing, what difference would a DI box make if I already have balanced output from the sonicake and that would be a completely different path than my live playing amp?

In regards to the method zozobro proposed, if I'm thinking about this correctly, that would also still allow me to use the click track routing out of output B on the RC500 as it wouldn't be in my FX loop at all anymore and would only need output A to be sending the loops

Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

Relying on the sound guy would be the sole reason I would never do this. Unless it's a club you frequent and know the guy and know he is good it's probably going to be aszzzzz

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Maddnotez wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:48 pm Relying on the sound guy would be the sole reason I would never do this. Unless it's a club you frequent and know the guy and know he is good it's probably going to be aszzzzz
I rely on sound guys for a lot (namely, trusting them with our IEM mixes), most of the sound guys at the places we play around here are awesome. I've only ever had a genuinely bad sound guy experience with this band once. It was his first day running sound at the venue by himself. He didn't even know what an auxiliary send was :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

spawnofthesith wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:09 pm
Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:45 pm Yeah it would be best to use a DI box with it then.

I'm feeling stupid now trying to think about the routing, what difference would a DI box make if I already have balanced output from the sonicake and that would be a completely different path than my live playing amp?
My concern with the Sonicake is there is not a ground lift for the XLR. My experience is that this will cause hum in the FOH around 100% of the times. :lol:

So patch the Sonicake into a proper DI so you have the option to do a ground lift.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:12 pm

My concern with the Sonicake is there is not a ground lift for the XLR. My experience is that this will cause hum in the FOH around 100% of the times. :lol:

So patch the Sonicake into a proper DI so you have the option to do a ground lift.

Ahh that makes sense, and explains the hum when I was trying to bypass having to use a software IR loader and just send the track straight to interface

Now next question, the captor DOES have a ground lift, would that solve the problem if I was using that with the IR loader, or not because it would becoming before the sonicake and not after?

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

spawnofthesith wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:52 pm
Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:12 pm

Ahh that makes sense, and explains the hum when I was trying to bypass having to use a software IR loader and just send the track straight to interface

Now next question, the captor DOES have a ground lift, would that solve the problem if I was using that with the IR loader, or not because it would becoming before the sonicake and not after?
I am not sure, tbh. You'd have to try. I am not fully understanding how to use the captor in this scenario. I will read again what Zozobra wrote.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Read it and I still don't quite get it :lol:

The goal is to have 2 separate chains between the looper and the regular amp, right? The Captor sitting between the amp/speaker would still send the whole thing (live guitar and loop) to the FOH. There is still no separation.

But it's entirely possible I am dumb and understanding it wrong. :lol:

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:04 pm Read it and I still don't quite get it :lol:

The goal is to have 2 separate chains between the looper and the regular amp, right? The Captor sitting between the amp/speaker would still send the whole thing (live guitar and loop) to the FOH. There is still no separation.

But it's entirely possible I am dumb and understanding it wrong. :lol:
I was sitting around looking like the confused math lady meme for a minute too... :lol:

I THINK the way this would work is I remove my looper from my FX loop entirely. I run my "live" amp into the captor with the thru going into my "live" cab. Then the dry line output on the captor goes into my looper and then into the sonicake (or vice versa?) and then to the board. Looper routed to only send recorded loops through output A and no dry signal and then output B on the rc500 still can send my click track to the board/iems.

I think that makes sense :lol:

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

spawnofthesith wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:41 pm
I was sitting around looking like the confused math lady meme for a minute too... :lol:

I THINK the way this would work is I remove my looper from my FX loop entirely. I run my "live" amp into the captor with the thru going into my "live" cab. Then the dry line output on the captor goes into my looper and then into the sonicake (or vice versa?) and then to the board. Looper routed to only send recorded loops through output A and no dry signal and then output B on the rc500 still can send my click track to the board/iems.

I think that makes sense :lol:
Yeah I guess that's it. The dry out of the Captor would still carry your whole amp signal though, effects and all, into the looper. Not sure whether that's an issue or not. It depends on what you're doing I guess.