NAD!! Friedman Dirty Shirley 40w

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: NAD!! Friedman Dirty Shirley 40w

Post by Guitarbilly »

spawnofthesith wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:51 pm That makes sense, if the mini is that good no need to have both

Tbh after sitting in with my homies band a few times now and hearing his mini recto in action a lot I’ve started to wonder if the problem is me and not the el84s :idk:
Personally, I am not a fan of the smaller Mesas. I think they sound good at low volumes but kind of fall apart at band volume. I'd even say that it was small Mesas that made me look away from small EL84 amps for a long time.

The Friedman is way bolder, louder and tighter than any 20w Mesa I've played.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I agree on the small Mesa power sections. They just flat out suck for band situations.

I didn’t realize the 40 watt was $2700!!! Goddamn.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah I think that if I had bought this amp used for like $14-1500, I'd say fuck it and just keep both, because it's a great amp, but at this price difference it's harder to justify it.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

A JTM style amp needs to make its way into my stable. Sounds like a DS mini would satisfy it. Or maybe save up for a Superplex Mk II :hmm:
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

greatmutah wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:41 am A JTM style amp needs to make its way into my stable. Sounds like a DS mini would satisfy it. Or maybe save up for a Superplex Mk II :hmm:
I don't know if I'd consider the DS mini a JTM style amp. The power section of the 40w is the JTM45 power section, but obviously the 20w power amp is completely different. What carried over from the 40w to the 20w is not very JTM-like at all.
I'd say the DS mini is more like a fatter, browner JMP/JCM style amp, with more gain and some of the Friedman "refined" tone. It's a great sounding amp regardless.

The Super Plex would be more of a true souped up JTM. Marshall now has the JTM Studio too. I haven't played one yet but the clips and reviews are great.

fastredponycar

Post by fastredponycar »

The JJ Jr is on my short list of baby Friedman's to try out. I've read nothing but great things about it.
Too much junk to list with 255 characters. :facepalm:

Check my gear reviews
https://www.youtube.com/@FastRedPonyCar

FAKA!

Post by FAKA! »

Wow... but I get it, I loved the 20w and played the shit out of it ta the local shop. If I didnt get the 40w for a good deal I probably would have been happy with the 20w. I did get to try the ds synergy plugged into a 20 ds and while it was close, it didnt have that sag that makes the ds so awesome.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

FAKA! wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:10 am Wow... but I get it, I loved the 20w and played the shit out of it ta the local shop. If I didnt get the 40w for a good deal I probably would have been happy with the 20w. I did get to try the ds synergy plugged into a 20 ds and while it was close, it didnt have that sag that makes the ds so awesome.
Yeah I think if I find a sweet deal on one I'd pick it up again.