DSL red channel lead 1 only...

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
macaronisalad

Re: DSL red channel lead 1 only...

Post by macaronisalad »

Guitarbilly wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:26 pm Yeah man, I don't chase EVH's tone so I don't know how "accurate" a DSL would be for that, but it's a great marshall tone nonetheless!!
Absolutely. I don't need it to be exactly anything either, but being in that zipcode is never a bad thing.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein »

I'm not into any of the DSL reissues solely on the MDF cab construction and the aftermarket looking tolex. Mine's a first year edition - made in 1997. Everyone talks about bias drift like's it automatic...i've never had that happen to mine ever. Not in rehearsals, at home, or even when it's literally on for hours and hours while recording in the studio.
1988 MIJ Fender ST54 Hardtail Strat
2005 Edwards E-JR-100LT/DC
2012 Gibson LP Trad Mahog
2015 Fender RW '50s Strat
2023 Gibson LPJ
2024 Epiphone LPC
-------
2003 Marshall DSL50
2021 Epic AR50
2022 Mojotone British 800 2204
2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah the bias thing is way overblown, it only happened to a small percentage of amps. There are a LOT of JCM2000s out there ( it's Marshall’s all-time best selling amp) and the vast majority has no issues.

That said, I like the H edition the best because of the dedicated Resonance control, 1/2 power switch and overall cleaner construction. But I like the 2000s too. I probably will buy a 2000 eventually just to have one.

The current HR I couldn't gel with, but I will give it another try eventually.

VinDSL

Post by VinDSL »

So what's the secret sauce recipe to getting a killer DSL sound? I know that it involves a SD-1, what are the other parameters? Also, any advantage in using a Waza SD-1?

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

VinDSL wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 pm So what's the secret sauce recipe to getting a killer DSL sound? I know that it involves a SD-1, what are the other parameters? Also, any advantage in using a Waza SD-1?
I only use the SD-1 for solos my rhythm tones are straight in.

The secret IHMO is to keep everything low ( except the volume).

Use Red Lead 1 Keep the gain under 4. Don't do the 5/5/5 eq thing. Start with the EQ at 0 and turn it up until they open up. You will clearly hear their opening point Mine is like presence and treble at 3.5, mids at 4, bass at 2.

Then turn up the volume as much as you can. The DSL is more low volume friendly than most Marshalls but it still benefits from being pushed a bit.