Am I Missing Anything Not Having a Fuzz Pedal?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
maggotspawn

Re: Am I Missing Anything Not Having a Fuzz Pedal?

Post by maggotspawn »

broslinger wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:57 pm
maggotspawn wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:53 am Thanks guys. Any recommendations for a mini fuzz pedal? Chinese OK.
Dude. Chinese? Mini?

Maybe, you don’t want a fuzz.

I would get something American in a big box.

Are you trying to sound like hendrix? Gilmour? Deftones? Rolling stones? My bloody valentine? Boris?

What do you actually want?
IDK what I want. Just bored. Ordered a Chinese mini fuzz. Hendrix, or Gilmour would be cool though.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Hendrix = Fuzz Face type sounds. Great pedals, sound awesome clean by rolling the guitars volume back.

Gilmour = mostly Big Muff for Gilmour. Some earlier stuff up through Dark Side is FF and colorsound booster, but The Wall on is a lot of Muff. Get something from SUF for your Gilmour fix. They’re built like tanks and sound amazing. Worth the price.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

ElDirtySanchez

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

For overall use, I tend to prefer more of the Big Muff style fuzz, they sound good into a clean amp and they will play nicely stacking with other fuzzes/ od's
Formerly Rock Flag and Eagle

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

yeah I think it's missing something. I don't use fuzz all that much, but I always had at least one on hand. At least for rock players, it's one of the essential tools. you don't have to pay a premium for one. Behringer has a really good one. The TC Honey Pot is also really cool and cheap.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

Fuzz Face in to a cranked bassman clone can get you this....

70s Ram Head Big Muff in to Plexi style amp more or less clean can get you this

I really need to do another one of those BYOC Ram Head clones..... I didn't do the best job with the first one and it started being kinda unreliable and finding the problem was a real pain in the ass, I think I'm much better at doing projects like that now than when I built that one.... it's such a great fuzz
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

Chinese? Inexpensive?
I HIGHLY recommend the Behringer Super Fuzz SF300.
It's a clone of the Boss FZ2 which is based on the Univox Super Fuzz used by Pete Townsend on the Live at Leeds album.
The SF300 is actually better than the original Univox Super Fuzz, because it has two tone controls.
Only $29 at Sweetwater...
https://www.sweetwater.com/c969--Distor ... lsrc=aw.ds
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

bonano

Post by bonano »

maggotspawn wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:54 am I have never used a fuzz pedal. Am I missing anything?
If you promise to return 'em I can lend you a few of mine. See what they sound like in your setup.

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:53 am Chinese? Inexpensive?
I HIGHLY recommend the Behringer Super Fuzz SF300.
It's a clone of the Boss FZ2 which is based on the Univox Super Fuzz used by Pete Townsend on the Live at Leeds album.
The SF300 is actually better than the original Univox Super Fuzz, because it has two tone controls.
Only $29 at Sweetwater...
https://www.sweetwater.com/c969--Distor ... lsrc=aw.ds

i have one too and its good. this was sweetwaters best selling pedal by a wide margin last year

Telephant

Post by Telephant »

I like fuzz but you’re not really missing out if you’re not playing anything that you think fuzz will fit into the context of. I use Big Muff style for heavier/sludgier sounds and Fuzz Faces for everything else.

Fuzz is def acquired taste. I remember being so disappointed when I first got my white dot Sunface. Now it is the holy grail Sunface. :lol:

But when I first got it, it sounded dark and muddy and confused the shit out of 19 year old me. Why don’t I sound like Hendrix?!? :cry:

It really needs amp volume to shine. At low volume I always have a boost on after it, like the Jan Ray or Duellist.

maggotspawn

Post by maggotspawn »

bonano wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 am
maggotspawn wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:54 am I have never used a fuzz pedal. Am I missing anything?
If you promise to return 'em I can lend you a few of mine. See what they sound like in your setup.
Generous offer, thanks. I'll try the pedal I've got coming first, and let you know later.