New Pickup Day

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

New Pickup Day

Post by spawnofthesith »

Got an SD scourge for the bridge of my S2 594. I actually quite like the stock pickups despite them being the he import version, but I really like what the Pegasus does in my LP so I wanted to move in that general direction

My homies gonna install it next week, will update #notMEN

I don Know the technical term for that kind of pole piece but hopefully that doesn’t impact putting that cover on?
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV | Badlander 50

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

spawnofthesith

Re: New Pickup Day

Post by spawnofthesith »

Never was able to link up with my friend so 4 months later I decided to sack up and buy a soldering iron and do it myself :lol:

Success!! This pickup absolutely crushes

Wish I was doing my own pickup swaps ages ago :lol:
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV | Badlander 50

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Nice work! Did you put anything between the cover and the pickup itself?
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

spawnofthesith wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:20 pm Never was able to link up with my friend so 4 months later I decided to sack up and buy a soldering iron and do it myself :lol:

Dude! So glad it worked out! I'm really digging the switch at the top. What do you think of that location? I've been thinking about the EVH strats with the switch on the horn.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

greatmutah wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:41 pm Nice work! Did you put anything between the cover and the pickup itself?

I didn’t… even though I think I technically should have? Just soldered the cover to the pickup. I may go back and wax pot it. If I go “hands free” on a distortion channel there’s definitely feedback directly related to the pickup but no feedback issues aside from that

linthat22 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:31 pm
spawnofthesith wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:20 pm Never was able to link up with my friend so 4 months later I decided to sack up and buy a soldering iron and do it myself :lol:

Dude! So glad it worked out! I'm really digging the switch at the top. What do you think of that location? I've been thinking about the EVH strats with the switch on the horn.
I like the up top switch but I’ve been playing LPs for decades at this point so I’m pretty accustomed to that location

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

You can do what I do. Cover the coil with the pole pieces that won’t be seen with something like painters tape. Light adhesive. Put a few dabs of silicone on the tape. Clamp said pickup into the cover and solder at the base. It might not get rid of all the microphonics but it’ll take care of most. I’ve had good success with this method a few times now.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

greatmutah wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:44 pm You can do what I do. Cover the coil with the pole pieces that won’t be seen with something like painters tape. Light adhesive. Put a few dabs of silicone on the tape. Clamp said pickup into the cover and solder at the base. It might not get rid of all the microphonics but it’ll take care of most. I’ve had good success with this method a few times now.
Sweet sounds easy enough to do without having to completely uninstall the pickup again

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

spawnofthesith wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:53 pm
greatmutah wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:44 pm You can do what I do. Cover the coil with the pole pieces that won’t be seen with something like painters tape. Light adhesive. Put a few dabs of silicone on the tape. Clamp said pickup into the cover and solder at the base. It might not get rid of all the microphonics but it’ll take care of most. I’ve had good success with this method a few times now.
Sweet sounds easy enough to do without having to completely uninstall the pickup again
I’ve done it while a pickup was installed in my Les Paul lol. Just put some rags down on top of the body to protect it a bit.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

The Scarlett/Scourge set was way too low output for me, but you will probably like it. I did like the Alpha/Omega set quite a lot, though.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

ninjaraf wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:16 pm The Scarlett/Scourge set was way too low output for me, but you will probably like it. I did like the Alpha/Omega set quite a lot, though.
I was debating trying out the alpha too. I think the scourge is slightly higher output than the pegasus, which I have in my LP and also love

I think I'm going to try one of the new rail Nazguls in either my CU22 or vela next lolol