Final FuXkory of my Strat

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

Final FuXkory of my Strat

Post by Endtime »

Fuckery in that, it plays great. Lol. And how I need it. But there really was a time I wanted to make this Strat in its relative stock form work. Besides the pickups. I even liked the originals but eventually I needed a little more juice the the Shawbucker “copy “ they used for these. Which is like 8k. Sounded really nice . Could get an pinch harmonic in the planet from em, but the really didn’t have the chunk other low output pickups have. Great for leads and clean…

Anyway, it used to be HSS. It’s now a single hum. This is a pickguard from another guitar, and it’s also been hacked up. I’m experiementing so I’ll make a new one with all these current specs and without the extra control holes and heel truss Rod opening. Again, as I said, I wanted to get a stock Strat bent steel trem to work for heavy bar use. I replaced the saddles with raw vintage saddles. Locking tuners, I made the nut as friendly to whammy use as possible and I really could go nuts on the bar and stay in tune 70-80% of the time. But… It’s simply physics here. Without double locking some slippage will occur…

So I floyded it. I do sorta miss that tone of a bent steel Strat bridge. I learned to like that tone and it IS different and unique to a Strat. The Floyd, basically took away that distinct tone but it still sounds
Really good. Originally I just drilled for a new Floyd and allowed it to sit on the body so dive only…

Well I’ve been getting back into full floating for awhile now. Especially with the slayer cover band. And I said fuck it. Let me do the recess route so I can go hog wild with this bad boy too! So now that’s done. I also decided to keep it kinda classic and put a Super Distortiom in it. I now finally hear the “fat mids” Dimarzio describes it. It’s not how I used to imagine it, but now I hear what they mean. It’s not particularly BIG sounding, but full and with “fat mids”. And I totally hear the early EVH tone. Cause THATS fat mids! Haha..

And oh yeah I swapped the frets for some vintage SS. I was really into the small Stainless steel like the Wolfgangs for awhile. Still am. And part of the reason is Strat necks are narrower and with bigger frets and the beveled edge of the frets, you really are right on the edge. With smaller frets, the bevel isn’t as big so there is actually a cunt hair more playing surface so I don’t pull off the fret edge often…

Can’t imagine I have anything else to do.. And oh yeah. I can’t put it out of tune! This thing is incredibly locked in now. Sometimes I feel blocked bridge actually hold tune worse cause maybe the don’t quite sit the exact same after each use. When it’s floating and you have good springs, it will always go back to zero.
Attachments
0B3A881F-7065-40FA-800C-D73838BA8906.jpeg
0B3A881F-7065-40FA-800C-D73838BA8906.jpeg (74.96 KiB) Viewed 373 times
9B2567D2-FBBB-451C-BE14-9661BCA3219B.jpeg
9B2567D2-FBBB-451C-BE14-9661BCA3219B.jpeg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 373 times

macaronisalad

Re: Final FuXkory of my Strat

Post by macaronisalad »

A thing of beauty! That's my kind of Strat
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

macaronisalad wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:01 pm A thing of beauty! That's my kind of Strat
+1!! That's the kind of strat I like.

Question: why the tone control? When/how do you use it? I think the guitar would sound more aggressive without it, especially for high gain...no?

But regardless, this is killer!!

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

macaronisalad wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:01 pm A thing of beauty! That's my kind of Strat
sweet! thanks
Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:07 pm

Question: why the tone control? When/how do you use it? I think the guitar would sound more aggressive without it, especially for high gain...no?

it all depends really. but no tone control adds a harshness in the mids I don't always like.. I play hard.. Thats honestly a true statement, As evidence by the 1000s of string I've broke.. Mostly Low E and A! ha. So I generate plenty of aggression.. To the point it can be too much. Somepickups I find is good without it, but most these days I prefer the tone control in the circuit.. And often I use it.. Rarely do I keep it on 10 if i think the guitar needs it.. So in this one I roll it down a Bunch tbh.. Altho its audio taper pot and doest do shit until halfway.. need to get a linear pot eventually

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

Best color scheme for a Stat ever!!!!!!!!!! :heart: :fap: :heart: :fap:
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Very nice!

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Endtime wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:31 pm
sweet! thanks
Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:07 pm

it all depends really. but no tone control adds a harshness in the mids I don't always like.. I play hard.. Thats honestly a true statement, As evidence by the 1000s of string I've broke.. Mostly Low E and A! ha. So I generate plenty of aggression.. To the point it can be too much. Somepickups I find is good without it, but most these days I prefer the tone control in the circuit.. And often I use it.. Rarely do I keep it on 10 if i think the guitar needs it.. So in this one I roll it down a Bunch tbh.. Altho its audio taper pot and doest do shit until halfway.. need to get a linear pot eventually
Saying you play hard is an UNDERstatement lol you're one of the most aggressive players I've heard.

I agree that no tone control can sound harsh but you can remediate that by changing the pot value. For example a 500k volume and 500k tone, equals 250k of resistance so using a single 250k volume would provide that same resistance.

But obviously, if you actually use the tone pot, that doesn't apply. That's interesting, I know of very few high gain players that use the tone pot. Tom Warrior is the only guy I can think of off the top of my head.