What are the go-to IRs right now?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: What are the go-to IRs right now?

Post by Guitarbilly »

ninjaraf wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:35 pm
ElDirtySanchez wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:06 pm The GGD Contenders is nice, easy to use not a bunch of folders to sort through, but pricey at $60 but you get a good variety. Ownhammer is really good, but you do get a lot more mic and position files which may be good or bad depending on if you like having a lot of options to sort through. The York Audio ones, I find when playing alone, sounds brighter and thinner than the same cabs as the OH. When I compared both YA and OH in a mix, I didn't really notice much difference.
The only thing I'm not sure about on the GGD is if you can export wav files and use in stuff like Helix and other modelers or if you can only use it in their software.
You can export whatever cabs you are using from GGD to an IR. Bill and I tested this when I first got it, and they worked for him. But I don't know what context he is using them in (modeler vs DAW...I would assume DAW).
I used the IRs we tested in my DAW, Suhr Reactive Load IR and the IR-D. No issues anywhere. Bottom line is, the exported GGD IRs are regular IRs and work everywhere.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I still do well with WoS and the Fortin beast cabs I’ve purchased. I know it’s not everyone’s favorite thing but it works for me.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Chris Z

Post by Chris Z »

I've got some Friedman IRs from TGP and they are my go to for straight and Angled. York, Ownhammer, Ola Englund and Leon Todds are really good as well. For Two Notes, I have the Friedman pack, Engl, Bogner, that sound alright.

heath

Post by heath »

I had used the York Audio IR's for a few years now but recently tried a few that came with a Tonex capture pack from Amalgam Audio and I think their "cabs" may be my favorites right now, at least for live use. There is a heft to them that feels more like a cabinet in the room, and they have most of the high and low cuts baked in, so I am spending much less time fiddling with getting them right.