What are the go-to IRs right now?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
bleedingwhiskey

What are the go-to IRs right now?

Post by bleedingwhiskey »

After finally getting some time with a Captor I was able to get my computer and DAW working right and sounding good with the Captor. So, what are the go-to IRs right now? I realized the Celestion ones I got a while back don't sound that great and the Wall of Sound stuff that came with the Captor aren't much better.

spawnofthesith

Re: What are the go-to IRs right now?

Post by spawnofthesith »

I've settled on the Ownhammer stuff, but a lot of forumites have been raving about the new GGD IRs
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

The GGD IR thing is the only thing I've really gotten to work for me. The celestion speaker mix pro software is really great, too, but the GGD stuff is significantly better.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

ElDirtySanchez

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

The GGD Contenders is nice, easy to use not a bunch of folders to sort through, but pricey at $60 but you get a good variety. Ownhammer is really good, but you do get a lot more mic and position files which may be good or bad depending on if you like having a lot of options to sort through. The York Audio ones, I find when playing alone, sounds brighter and thinner than the same cabs as the OH. When I compared both YA and OH in a mix, I didn't really notice much difference.
The only thing I'm not sure about on the GGD is if you can export wav files and use in stuff like Helix and other modelers or if you can only use it in their software.
Formerly Rock Flag and Eagle

ElDirtySanchez

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

While not the same cabs, if you wanted to get a taste of both York and OH, heres links to a free OH pack and a $1 York Audio pack
https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.p ... cts_id=478
https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/m ... 30-limited

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah York Audio is good. Ownhammer too.
I recently bought a Bogren pack that has some good sounding ones but the idiotic names are irritating lol

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

ElDirtySanchez wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:06 pm The GGD Contenders is nice, easy to use not a bunch of folders to sort through, but pricey at $60 but you get a good variety. Ownhammer is really good, but you do get a lot more mic and position files which may be good or bad depending on if you like having a lot of options to sort through. The York Audio ones, I find when playing alone, sounds brighter and thinner than the same cabs as the OH. When I compared both YA and OH in a mix, I didn't really notice much difference.
The only thing I'm not sure about on the GGD is if you can export wav files and use in stuff like Helix and other modelers or if you can only use it in their software.
You can export whatever cabs you are using from GGD to an IR. Bill and I tested this when I first got it, and they worked for him. But I don't know what context he is using them in (modeler vs DAW...I would assume DAW).

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:23 pm Yeah York Audio is good. Ownhammer too.
I recently bought a Bogren pack that has some good sounding ones but the idiotic names are irritating lol
LOLOL I also hate their dumbass names lol

ElDirtySanchez

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

ninjaraf wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:35 pm
ElDirtySanchez wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:06 pm The GGD Contenders is nice, easy to use not a bunch of folders to sort through, but pricey at $60 but you get a good variety. Ownhammer is really good, but you do get a lot more mic and position files which may be good or bad depending on if you like having a lot of options to sort through. The York Audio ones, I find when playing alone, sounds brighter and thinner than the same cabs as the OH. When I compared both YA and OH in a mix, I didn't really notice much difference.
You can export whatever cabs you are using from GGD to an IR. Bill and I tested this when I first got it, and they worked for him. But I don't know what context he is using them in (modeler vs DAW...I would assume DAW).
Good to know, I'll have to try it and load some into my POD

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

if you have the Captor you should have access to Wall of Sound or even Gnome from Two Notes..... if you are going to use that I highly recommend the Pete Thorn signature cabs they offer... I've gotten some really great results with those and they are what I use in my DAW with Gnome and the amp modeling they offer
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote: