Preference over Slant vs. Straight 1960s or other cabs?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Preference over Slant vs. Straight 1960s or other cabs?

Post by Guitarbilly »

Endtime wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:07 pm Generally like a straight but doesn’t really matter. BUT.. and some have tried to theorize why, angled cabs and the actual
Angled speakers of those cabs, usually are the best spot for mic’ing and recording. I won’t get into peoples theories and ideas why, but I have found most of my favorite tones were the top speakers in an angled cab. Or at the very least those have less anomalies, and stray resonances or spikes than the bottom speakers in an angled cab.

But right now my 2 fave cabs for live and recording are straight cabs. Obviously just about every speaker can be mic’d and engineered to sound great. But it really does seem the top 2 in an angled generally give the easiest and truest reproduction of the tone

That's interesting. I never thought of it that way, but I've always mic'd the top speakers of my angled cab, they always sound better. I thought it was just how my particular cab was since I don't have any other 4x12s to compare it to. But what you're saying makes a lot of sense and definitely checks out in my experience.

broslinger

Post by broslinger »

I like straight bc a rack can rest easily on top.

If i end up with a slant, i turn it sideways to use a rack in top.
P O W E R F U L ___ M I D C U T ___ C O N T R O L

SPOTIFY LINK TO CATATONIC DOUCHE ALBUM!!!
https://open.spotify.com/album/0IOhhAhdZfaB7BN74SUHLC

Also iTunes and Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/artist/holid ... 1293369997

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:41 pm
Endtime wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:07 pm Generally like a straight but doesn’t really matter. BUT.. and some have tried to theorize why, angled cabs and the actual
Angled speakers of those cabs, usually are the best spot for mic’ing and recording. I won’t get into peoples theories and ideas why, but I have found most of my favorite tones were the top speakers in an angled cab. Or at the very least those have less anomalies, and stray resonances or spikes than the bottom speakers in an angled cab.

But right now my 2 fave cabs for live and recording are straight cabs. Obviously just about every speaker can be mic’d and engineered to sound great. But it really does seem the top 2 in an angled generally give the easiest and truest reproduction of the tone

That's interesting. I never thought of it that way, but I've always mic'd the top speakers of my angled cab, they always sound better. I thought it was just how my particular cab was since I don't have any other 4x12s to compare it to. But what you're saying makes a lot of sense and definitely checks out in my experience.
I want to say Nolly went a bit down the path of theorizing why because for his IR packs he almost always used the angled speakers and he wanted to figure out why! Not sure why vid or even if it was a special vid aboit it but I know I saw him go in about it and drew up some diagrams how basically cause it’s angled there isn’t as many reflections that come out of the back of the speaker and bounce of the back panel and straight back into the speaker. An angled speaker basically won’t have as much of those “bounce back” sound waves coming thru the speaker. In “theory”, I think it prolly does have an effect. Plus I think it was also thrown out that that area of the cab is physically a bit smaller so won’t get as much bass buildup..?? Sumthin like that.

But I can say if you mic the top Vs bottom of an angled cab you will generally hear more 500-700hz in the bottom speakers. As well as more bass but it really does seem to have a little bump in the mids that sounds “off” compared to the top speakers