Guitar Lessons, Tips, Techniques, Etc. Online on YouTube or elsewhere? Reading, charts, videos and whatnot.

Talk about your favorite records, bands, shows and anything you can think of that is related to music
Abe

Guitar Lessons, Tips, Techniques, Etc. Online on YouTube or elsewhere? Reading, charts, videos and whatnot.

Post by Abe »

I'm really no better of a guitar player now as I turn 44 than I was when I was 19 really. Intermediate as far as what sounds I can sometimes make, yet not even really that when I consider my limited understanding of music theory terminology etc as I play by feel and by ear and can't always explain the logic I use to hear something in mind I'd like to try playing. I play in mostly an improvised way and recognize sounds via their relation to the sounds before and after. I'll reach for a note or strike a chord yet rarely am I identifying the note or chord or scale or arpeggio by name. So I have a good ear and I understand what sounds right via what's not logical noise.

Every sibling in my family could play some basic open chords by like age 8 as my Dad wanted a bunch of little musicians. Past that everything I became able to do just came from my experimenting fueled somewhat by musical influence and inspiration. Wanting to become unstuck and proceed with new momentum I've recently been reading and watching videos online to try and advance my understanding and abilities. I don't want to be mindlessly flailing my fingers around what is just merely in key. And I don't want to be placing my fingers just where they are inclined to go, because that could just be called lazy. No paid subscriptions or anything, just whatever is free that may help me a bit.

Wondering if anyone here is familiar with YouTube channels, charts, websites or anything else online that legitimately helps them some as a guitar player.

Thanks.

🎸

🎶
∞ ✡ ∵ ✞ ☯ ॐ ☮ ღ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ © $ ∴ ✡ ∞

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Guitar Lessons, Tips, Techniques, Etc. Online on YouTube or elsewhere? Reading, charts, videos and whatnot.

Post by Guitarbilly »

During the pandemic I took the Paul Gilbert online course and it was great. Huge impact on my playing. He has several levels of membership including one where you do a Zoom call with him every month so he can check on your progress and give you tips. That's the one I did and it was great. He's a great teacher and very fun to hang out with. I am not sure if he is still offering that or if it was just during the pandemic when he was at home all the time. But it's definitely worth it.

For YT teachers, I like Troy Grady and Ben Eller, although I never signed up for his courses just watched the free material they have on their channels but it's great stuff.

Wiggum

Re: Guitar Lessons, Tips, Techniques, Etc. Online on YouTube or elsewhere? Reading, charts, videos and whatnot.

Post by Wiggum »

I've been learning from the Tom Conlon YouTube videos lately. He's a very good player and a huge fan of the Ventures, like me.

For songwriting I've used the Chord Wheel. It's $15 on Amazon.