Please help me out with a mystery regarding my Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher!!

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
rottenatomy

Please help me out with a mystery regarding my Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher!!

Post by rottenatomy »

Hi all, please help my brain sort this out. I'm sure the answer is going to be completely stupid, so sorry in advance:

I have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher, this one:

I was 99% sure that I used it before with a standard 9v link from a pedal power pack for a show last year. I went to use it again recently, and found that the 9v input is different to what i'd expect and none of my normal ones fit. My memory is hazy but I’m stumped as to why I didn’t have this problem before.

Here’s the usual 9v input that you'd see on any pedal (white) and then the pedal switcher one (black) - is there anything different about it that I’m missing, or has anyone seen anything like it before? Is it broken, or is this a different type of 9v input for which I probably had an adapter that i've misplaced? Going mad over this. The simplest explanation is that it had a dedicated adapter that i've lost, but in that case can someone please help me out by explaining how the is a different 9v to all my others, and what I should be looking for as a replacement? Thanks in advance!

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Please help me out with a mystery regarding my Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher!!

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah it's a different plug because it's 9v AC. Regular pedals are 9v DC and they're not compatible with each other, it could actually cause damage. So they use different plug sizes as a failsafe.

So just find a 9v AC adaptor and you're good. Line 6 makes a good one. So does Rocktron.

If you're using a power supplier for the whole board, look for a "L6 adapter cable", which will fit and convert the current from DC to AC. It's called "L6" because again, Line 6 used AC power on pedals like the DL4 etc

rottenatomy

Post by rottenatomy »

Amazing thank you - knew it was something as simple as this but my brain is fried at the moment!

rottenatomy

Post by rottenatomy »

Guitarbilly wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:38 am Yeah it's a different plug because it's 9v AC. Regular pedals are 9v DC and they're not compatible with each other, it could actually cause damage. So they use different plug sizes as a failsafe.

So just find a 9v AC adaptor and you're good. Line 6 makes a good one. So does Rocktron.

If you're using a power supplier for the whole board, look for a "L6 adapter cable", which will fit and convert the current from DC to AC. It's called "L6" because again, Line 6 used AC power on pedals like the DL4 etc
However i'm not currently finding what you're talking about with regards to how I could power this in a daisy chain with other pedals - i'm using a Decibel Eleven Hotstone to power the board, are you able to link me to something that would work with this for the switcher please?

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

https://www.thomannmusic.com/voodoo_lab ... ppl6_r.htm

This is the cable. I'm not familiar with the Hotstone to know if it can power it up. Check the manual.

Worst case scenario you will need a separate adapter for it.
Make sure it's AC-AC and the plug is 2.5mm.

JSutter

Post by JSutter »

The user manual states it can be powered by either AC or DC.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Should be easy then. Just needs the right plug.

rottenatomy

Post by rottenatomy »

Guitarbilly wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:38 pm https://www.thomannmusic.com/voodoo_lab ... ppl6_r.htm

This is the cable. I'm not familiar with the Hotstone to know if it can power it up. Check the manual.

Worst case scenario you will need a separate adapter for it.
Make sure it's AC-AC and the plug is 2.5mm.
Brilliant have ordered - massive thanks!