My thoughts on the Peavey 3120

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Maddnotez

My thoughts on the Peavey 3120

Post by Maddnotez »

Idk much about these amps. I'm reading they're part of the Ultra line and essentially the same thing as the XXX and Ultra amps but idk. I've owned an Ultra+ 120 before somewhat recently. Idk if something was wrong with the Ultra but the 3120 blows it away.

I haven't played a XXX since I was a teenager and didn't know what a tube was so I can't really comment on that but damn.

For death metal this amp really brings it. I probably wouldn't want to use it for any other genre unless I had to but I'm really impressed with it considering the price I paid.

Got to use it in a full band mix yesterday and it was great. Sounded brutal, cut just fine. Didn't drown anyone out plus whatever in the room "fizz" I was getting at home seemed to disappear. Overall a winner.

Comparing it to the Bogner Ultra idk, I can't really compare those 2 amps. It's just a different animal and the Uber is so refined and detailed you can see where all the extra money went.

The Peavey is older than dirt and heavy. The layout sucks and the tubes are a pain to get to and the absolute most difficult amp to pull preamp tubes out of but for what I paid I'm good.

That's with the Peavey/Sheffield cab too which idk how I feel about. It works, I believe those speakers were designed for these amp but idk. I'm considering getting a Mesa cab or something else and was suggested to throw in KT77 which I might do one day but I'm super good for now with my poverty.

Edit: the uber is NOISY AS FUGGGG. it is actually ridiculous that amp doesn't included some type of noise gate.

The Peavey noise is near perfect. Not obnoxious but can get feedback if needed.

RaceU4her

Re: My thoughts on the Peavey 3120

Post by RaceU4her »

I don’t doubt the amp rips, plenty of death metal bands use them and sound great. My favorite Endtime tones were always his xxx. One day I’m gonna grab one

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Peaveys in general punch way above their price range. The 3120 is the XXX so that's a well established metal amp. Some of my favorite Exodus tracks were recorded with it. The 5150 is iconic, the Peavey Classic 50 is awesome too.
I prefer the Ultra Plus over the XXX, but I dial hard rock tones so that is different. For metal the XXX is usually preferred by most players.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

The XXX/3120 or Ultra Plus would be the ones of that line I’d love to own. A buddy had a XXX years ago and it was awesome. I think the JSX was supposed to have its Ultra channel based on the XXX Crunch and it’s Crunch based on the Classic 50. If I get to play one again I will.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

I would definitely encourage it if you like death metal tones.

Never had heard of the 3120 before I started window shopping for suggestions. I've owned at least 2 different 6505's and that was years ago but I like this one better.

Eventually need to get a better cab I suppose.

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

Maddnotez wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:59 pm I would definitely encourage it if you like death metal tones.

Never had heard of the 3120 before I started window shopping for suggestions. I've owned at least 2 different 6505's and that was years ago but I like this one better.

Eventually need to get a better cab I suppose.

i remember that amp coming out, not knowing exactly why as it was just a rehoused XXX, then it just kind of disappeared.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I remember playing these at Samash when they were released and was blown away. Somewhere around 2009 or something? I had never had experience with the XXX, but the JSX 212 combo was my dream amp all through college. I did end up getting a JSX head about a year later, and it didn't last long.

However, that same day, I bought my first 6505 212 combo from GC used, and fell in love with that thing. So once I did finally get the JSX, I was severely disappointed. I had built it up so much in my own mind the whole time I was in college, but it just couldn't compare to the 6505 for me.

Then had Endtime's XXX for a little while, and felt similarly. Just doesn't quite hit the right buttons for me.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Maddnotez wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:59 pm Eventually need to get a better cab I suppose.
Not really, these cabs are extremely well made. Load it with the speakers of your preference and you're good.

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:17 pm
Maddnotez wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:59 pm Eventually need to get a better cab I suppose.
Not really, these cabs are extremely well made. Load it with the speakers of your preference and you're good.
Not a bad idea. My only hang ups on that is I'm going to end up with either 4 V30 or Scumbacks.

$400 for the V30....for an extra $300-$400 I can get the Mesa I want and would convince myself it sounds better :lol:

Also wanted to add. The cab is not very sturdy at all. Literally every time I move it I have to stop it from falling over. Like it's back heavy or something and it on the brink of falling backwards at any given time.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

That’s weird. I’ve had great experiences with peavey cabs. I even have my old 5150 cab still that I converted to a shelf in our living room haha.

But the Mesa will be better anyway. My other guitar player borrowed one from another band at a show and was blown away. Then he borrowed mine to confirm and bought one lol. They sound absolutely massive and for chuggy metal there simply is not a better cab.

I did swap 2 of the v30s with redbacks, though, and it sounds even more massive. I have the same speakers in my doronzo 412, and that can sounds fucking great but not massive in the way the Mesa does. It’s tighter and more focused, maybe more controlled? Whatever it is, it still sounds great!

My ksr 212 has the same speakers, too, but in 16 ohms. So all my cabs are 8 ohm.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.