Celestion EVH speakers

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Celestion EVH speakers

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'm interested in buying a quad of the EVH Celestions. They're rated 20w each and they're used on the EVH cabs that are sold with the 100w head, but the EVH is a master volume amp and most people won't use anywhere close to full power of the heads.
My question is, how do you think they would handle a NMV Super Lead, which actually easily puts out 100w of power or close to 130-150w when cranked?
I've used 25w Greenbacks with a NVM Marshall before and they were fine. So I think Celestion rates their speakers conservatively.
But I've also seen 100w Marshalls blow GBs.

Do you think the 20w EVHs could do it? Or should I go with at least the GBs? Honestly I'd be using the PS or an attenuator most of the time so that would be fine, but there will be times where I will unleash the beast :evil:

greatmutah

Re: Celestion EVH speakers

Post by greatmutah »

I was actually thinking about them for my Greenback cab hahaha. I think Celestion has stated they can handle 25 watts per speaker but are still labeled and rated 20 watts conservatively. I’m not so sure about running them with a 100 watt NMV amp but celestions are generally more robust than a lot of speakers. Plus you’d get some cool natural speaker compression from the super lead. Maybe try em, attenuate first and see how they go as you bring up volume and how they respond with the PS running higher than normal?

FWIW I’m also thinking about G12M65 Creambacks for my Metro 2x12 to get a similar sound there. George is prepping to start cab production in-house though and if he does I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying a straight 4x12 from him. Which if I do, I may just do the EVHs in that. Decisions decisions.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah unfortunately I didn't have a lot of luck with the 65 Creambacks. They sound good but they're a bit too smooth for my taste. I'd like to have a Creamback cab on the side for recording etc but probably not something I'd use as my main live cab.
I haven't tried the 75 Creambacks yet. Maybe they would fit me better. How do they compare to each other?

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I love my 75s. The mids are more relaxed but the treble is clearer. Not as bright as like an Anniversary H30 but similar ballpark.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

I prefer the H75s but not sure they're going to fill the roll of the EVH speaker style tone. The H75s have a lot more bass, almost like a cross between a G12T75 and a Greenback.

I'd do the EVH speakers and run the Powerstation to keep the power at a reasonable level so as not to blowout the speakers.
Ukraine? Mykraine

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

Have camera rolling when you forego the PS-2A so we can at least see what they look like when they burn up. /s

I'd think even with an attenuator or PS-2A, they could still reach their limits.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I feel like if you are running it with the Powerstation you'll be fine. Its unlikely that you will run it at full other than just for fun.

And at that point, its fun to have things go...

The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

I am not techie enough to answer that question with any type of certainty. However, running a quad of the EVH Celestions with the Super Lead alone would be a no go for me. With the PS... should be fine?

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

I’ve been using these for years now. I seriously doubt you’ll blow em. Obviously I can’t predict the future! Hah. But I often crank my shot just because I’m a moron with my hearing and I like hearing shit at its limit for the fun of it. It’s never even crossed my mind I might blow em.

What works great with these is they are kinda scooped sounding. So a mid heavy amp, these are perfect. Not sure a Recto is gonna be great but Marshall, Evh, PV they are high on my list. I also have the 16 ohm and 8 ohm versions. Definitely different. The standard difference applies here. A bit more mids and smoother treble on yhe 8 ohm. A little more scoop and sizzle on yhe 16. I like em both and just paired them in the cab that worked best with their sonic traits.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Also, I really do not believe these are just relabel Heritage Greenbacks like many said, maybe even Celestion said this. All speakers are different. But I had an X of the Heritage greenbacks and EvH speakers for awhile. I just grabbed what I found for best price and figured they are the same. Both the Heritages sounded the same and the EVH speakers sounded basically the same. So the difference I found was consistent between the 2 speakers. The Evh are just a bit “harder”. A little more modern and metal. I’d argue a touch tighter. The heritage were a bit more balanced and not as aggressive.