NGD - PRS Poverty Edition

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Re: NGD - PRS Poverty Edition

Post by spawnofthesith »

Thanks dudes!!
heath wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:05 pm Got a chance to play the SE Silver Sky and the SE NF3 over the weekend at one of the local shops. They are both excellent guitars. I think the NF was my favorite of the two. A little fatter sounding with those pickups and I liked the neck profile more. Some nice candy metallic colors as well. Both were excellent guitars and it was hard to find many flaws with either. The true winner of the day though was the NF53 (tele-esqe). It was perfect.

I do not need another PRS. I do not need another PRS... Opens sweetwater site.
I really disliked everything about the NF53 when they dropped but theyve grown on me a lot. I am in the market for a tele sooner rather than later. Probably will stick to fender (especially given the price point) but its an intriguing thought.
greatmutah wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:21 pm
heath wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:05 pm I do not need another PRS. I do not need another PRS... Opens sweetwater site.
I do the same thing. Do I need another one? No… do I want one? Well I have 2 SEs and 1 S2 and that’s an uneven ratio of Import to USA PRS guitars here. So I guess I need to fix that.
You know what to do :evil:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Buy the charcoal satin Vela I’ve been eyeing? Because that’s what I want to do.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

heath

Post by heath »

You know, I have an uneven ratio as well currently. :hmm: That NF53 would make it an even ratio of US to SE.

I have the CE24

The Angelus SE my wife got me for our 20th anniversary.

A Starla SE that I picked up for near nothing and modded into what I wanted.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

greatmutah wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:34 pm Buy the charcoal satin Vela I’ve been eyeing? Because that’s what I want to do.
No time like the present :love:
heath wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:06 pm You know, I have an uneven ratio as well currently. :hmm: That NF53 would make it an even ratio of US to SE.

I have the CE24

The Angelus SE my wife got me for our 20th anniversary.

A Starla SE that I picked up for near nothing and modded into what I wanted.
Love the top on that CE24!! Are those the stock 85s? I really like how they sound on my semi hollow ce24 but basically always prefer the aesthetic of covered pickups

heath

Post by heath »

spawnofthesith wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:10 pm Love the top on that CE24!! Are those the stock 85s? I really like how they sound on my semi hollow ce24 but basically always prefer the aesthetic of covered pickups
Nope, I found the 85/15s to be thin-sounding for what I play and this guitar is bright. I have had probably 5-6 sets of pickups in that guitar since I got it in 22. I finally settled on a set of Suhr pickups in it. A Thornbucker neck and a Woodbucker in the bridge. I tried Air Norton/Tonezone, Duncan Slash Set, Aldrich set, Thornbucker+, Thornbucker II, and finally tried the Woodbucker about two weeks ago.
The tonezone ended up in my Starla, I gave the Slash set to a friend, and the Aldrich set ended up in my son's Sterling JP150, the Thornbucker II ended up in my Xotic strat and the 85/15's ended up in my son's Epiphone Les Paul. The Epi Paul was a great fit because it was always a muddier guitar and the 85/15s are much clearer sounding in it.

FAKA!

Post by FAKA! »

Nice man! I got to play a regular SS at the local shop, Im pretty sure I was making this hipster guy in the store cringe playing metal af on it hahaha.. I did like the guitar though, the neck felt great.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Thanks!!

Got to spend a lot more time with it today and yesterday. Love it :love:

I take back what I said about higher gain tones. First of all, was fostering puppies last week and most of my stuff had been stored away/moved and my settings and gain knob were way low. Corrected that and it was just crushing. Also, the tone knob for the bridge particularly is the best tone knob on any guitar I’ve owned. Usable sweep basically the entire way. Putting thst between 3-4 really makes a huge difference for chugging on high gain and for clean rhythm playing too

I’ve been tracking some scratch tracks for an ep were recording coming up and I went through all of my guitars to make sure I wasn’t just enjoying the cleans on this so much because the mark V just sounds good and it really was beating everything out in that department. I know a lot of people don’t like the g&b built pickups but I’ve liked the ones in my S2s and these may be even more impressive for “cheap” pickups

I did a quick and dirty lowering of the saddles and it’s playing a lot smoother and easier now too.

I did sell the am pro II strat and I can’t say I feel like I’m missing it too much and got a bundle extra on my pocket. If I played strat types more frequently maybe I could’ve seen hanging on to it but this really impressive

The “point” of the neck scarf looks mildly wonky but strictly aesthetic and the biggest knock I can find against it. Very well built guitar

Beef

Post by Beef »

That's awesome, I've only heard good things about the SE's. Sounds like you weren't feeling or using the Am Pro and this is a great substitute to have something strat-y in the stable. I've really been digging some stuff recently of folks doing high-er gain stuff with strats (obviously depending on the style, they definitely don't work for everything). There's a way the lower strings snap that I really dig. :idk: Enjoy it!
greatmutah wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:34 pm Buy the charcoal satin Vela I’ve been eyeing? Because that’s what I want to do.
Hell yeah man. Fucking love my Vela's, they're so good. I'm super curious to try the new ones too now with the upgraded electronics.
Wu-Tang is for the children.

fastredponycar

Post by fastredponycar »

The SE's are so good for the money. I gigged with and reviewed the 24 fret floyd rose SE and really liked it. I've got the Semi Hollow II Piezo right now I'm testing out before doing a video on. I did an acoustic gig with it this past weekend and it was really great.

I briefly played a DGT SE about a month ago and it was also exceptional and definitely a guitar I want to spend more time with.
Too much junk to list with 255 characters. :facepalm:

Check my gear reviews
https://www.youtube.com/@FastRedPonyCar

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Beef wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:28 am That's awesome, I've only heard good things about the SE's. Sounds like you weren't feeling or using the Am Pro and this is a great substitute to have something strat-y in the stable. I've really been digging some stuff recently of folks doing high-er gain stuff with strats (obviously depending on the style, they definitely don't work for everything). There's a way the lower strings snap that I really dig. :idk: Enjoy it!
Hell yeah man. Fucking love my Vela's, they're so good. I'm super curious to try the new ones too now with the upgraded electronics.
One of the best tests of a new guitar for me is how quickly it's inspired new ideas/material and this thing has passed that test in spades. I brought it to jam with my drummer the other night and he whined about the tone, but he's done that anytime I've brought a single coil guitar of any kind around :lol:
fastredponycar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:19 pm The SE's are so good for the money. I gigged with and reviewed the 24 fret floyd rose SE and really liked it. I've got the Semi Hollow II Piezo right now I'm testing out before doing a video on. I did an acoustic gig with it this past weekend and it was really great.

I briefly played a DGT SE about a month ago and it was also exceptional and definitely a guitar I want to spend more time with.
Yeah value on this guy seems great, especially at the price I got it for. But I would say worth it and then some even at the full asking price.

I've been indifferent to meh on most SEs I've tried over the years but my bass player grabbed an se custom 24 recently that impressed me more than anything else out of the lineup. I'd almost say maybe I'm liking the stuff coming out of the new SE specific cort factory the most, but I also tried out an SE 594 last year that I thought was pretty uninspiring so who knows.

a core HBII is a bucket list guitar for me, and I really wish I could get on with the SE versions, but I've tried a handful of them out and they haven't really done it for me :cry: