Kit guitars

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Kit guitars

Post by Guitarbilly »

I've been thinking about putting together a few kit guitars to use as stage guitars so I can make them look unique, cool whatever...
I have a partscasters here and I like them but I'm particularly interested in setneck kits. Vs, Explorers, LPs etc

I know about Precision Guitar kits but are there any other brands I should look at.? I've seen some cheap kits on Ebay etc are they a good starting point? Obviously I'd buy my own hardware and electronics, get a tech to do the fretwork and do my own setups...

broslinger

Re: Kit guitars

Post by broslinger »

I have two PGK's, and they come together REALLY nicely. I would buy once, cry once.

The SG Jr was especially badass. Looks incredible. Sounds incredible.

The Les Paul build doesn't look as nice since it doesn't have binding/etc. Looks cheaper. Still really nice though.

The necks set perfectly.
P O W E R F U L ___ M I D C U T ___ C O N T R O L

SPOTIFY LINK TO CATATONIC DOUCHE ALBUM!!!
https://open.spotify.com/album/0IOhhAhdZfaB7BN74SUHLC

Also iTunes and Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/artist/holid ... 1293369997

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

broslinger wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:42 pm I have two PGK's, and they come together REALLY nicely. I would buy once, cry once.

The Les Paul build doesn't look as nice since it doesn't have binding/etc. Looks cheaper. Still really nice though.

The necks set perfectly.
Do you think it's worth paying them to set the neck themselves? I think they charge $100 to do it, which is not the end of the world but if the neck sets tightly I can just do it myself....

broslinger

Post by broslinger »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:05 pm
broslinger wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:42 pm I have two PGK's, and they come together REALLY nicely. I would buy once, cry once.

The necks set perfectly.
Do you think it's worth paying them to set the neck themselves? I think they charge $100 to do it, which is not the end of the world but if the neck sets tightly I can just do it myself....
I set mine myself. It was no big deal. Just some Hyde glue and some clamps. Just be clean with it. Easier to clean wet glue than dry glue.
P O W E R F U L ___ M I D C U T ___ C O N T R O L

SPOTIFY LINK TO CATATONIC DOUCHE ALBUM!!!
https://open.spotify.com/album/0IOhhAhdZfaB7BN74SUHLC

Also iTunes and Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/artist/holid ... 1293369997

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Good. Yeah if the fit is tight it should be pretty simple. Thinking about doing a black limba V :love:

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I had a precision V kit, and I didn't have any technical issues with it. My issues were that even after email communication and confirmation, he didn't honor any of my requests that he said he would lol. I guess I did have 1 technical issue...where the pickup mounting screws would sit, the pickup cavities weren't deep enough. So you'd mount the pickup, and the screws would be sticking up above the pickup ring lol. I think I just drilled a hole a bit deeper for each area where the screws went into the cavities lol

The rest of my issues were preference. I didn't like the neck shape or thickness, it had the wider V shoulders like an Epiphone. That kind of nonsense.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

heath

Post by heath »

PVX guitars make a couple of PRS style kits I have nearly jumped on a few different times. They look really well made. They are also willing to customize some of the materials if you contact them. I was going to build a PRS SC style with a roasted maple neck.

macgaj3

Post by macgaj3 »

i have 2 precision builds. I set the necks on both myself with titebond. wouldn't hesitate to do another PGK build!
Nik Huber | Bad Cat | Pedals

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

heath wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:31 pm PVX guitars make a couple of PRS style kits I have nearly jumped on a few different times. They look really well made. They are also willing to customize some of the materials if you contact them. I was going to build a PRS SC style with a roasted maple neck.
Yeah their builds look good. It' would be awesome if they make some Gibson models eventually.
macgaj3 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:08 pm i have 2 precision builds. I set the necks on both myself with titebond. wouldn't hesitate to do another PGK build!

Yeah everything I've seen/heard from them has been great!