Thoughts on the Carvin X100B?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
bonano

Thoughts on the Carvin X100B?

Post by bonano »

I dunno, man . . . they be going for really cheap.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on the Carvin X100B?

Post by Guitarbilly »

I think they're really cool sounding amps. The gain channel is not really Marshall or Mesa or anything "clasiic" it has its own tone, but I like it. Not a lot of gain but it takes boosts well. Very versatile with the graphic EQ. The clean channel is amazing, very glassy and pristine.

Michael Nielsen made a cool video of it recreating the Vai tone in the movie "Crossroads" (which was originally recorded with this amp)

Mike Oxhuge

Post by Mike Oxhuge »

I had an 89 fuzzy carpet model with EL34's and hotrod modification 1B. That or the reissue are the models to get, they have more gain and a tighter low end. Killer cleans and crunch. Boost with an SD1 for heavier tones.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I had a reissue and some people tell me that was my best sound. I wanted something with a little more bite, but it was good.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Mike Oxhuge

Post by Mike Oxhuge »

All reissues I believe are EL34 hot rod modification 1 B.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Check out Steve Vai “Blue Powder”. Apparently he made that song as a demo for that amp. Of course it’s Vai and sounds great but what really stands out is the clean tones.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Endtime wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:01 pm Check out Steve Vai “Blue Powder”. Apparently he made that song as a demo for that amp. Of course it’s Vai and sounds great but what really stands out is the clean tones.
Yep. Blue Powder was first released on a flexi-disc (remember those? Lol) on Guitar Player magazine as a X-100B demo.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

I do remember those! Not that specific one but yeah I remember reading that he released that song on flexi as a demo! Not sure what else he used it on, if anything off Passion. But you can hear a difference in that song. It’s still good for his style. And the cleans are very cool. Which I think is Carvins MO. Great cleans