Marshall-cab back screws and washers

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
bonano

Marshall-cab back screws and washers

Post by bonano »

I'm about to HomeDepot some wood screws and finish washers for my Marshall 1960B which is missing most of 'em. I mean, they're just friggen wood screws and washers, right? I'm gonna take some originals with me to HD to compare.

I don't need anything vintage-original or even vintage correct. My cab is totally trashed on the outside anyway. I just want the cab to stop buzzing at low volumes. I can't hear the buzzing at high volumes anyway.

How do I deal with stripped out holes though?

zozobra

Re: Marshall-cab back screws and washers

Post by zozobra »

Quick way: stick a few matches/toothpicks in with some wood glue and you'll have enough bite for the screws to take.

Proper way: drill out the hole and glue dowels in, then drill pilot holes for the screws.

Ghetto way: gorilla glue the back panel onto the cab.

Don't forget to take this opportunity to caulk the inside of the cab :o

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

zozobra wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:02 pm Quick way: stick a few matches/toothpicks in with some wood glue and you'll have enough bite for the screws to take.
yeah that works and holds up really well.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

Is caulking the inside of the cabinet necessary? What does it provide versus leaving it as is? I would think that making sure the front baffle is screwed tight would be more importantly.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah I never caulked any cabinets

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

It was a circa 2007 HCAF meme thing, long since lost to the not-quite-death of harmony central :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

zozobra wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:20 am It was a circa 2007 HCAF meme thing, long since lost to the not-quite-death of harmony central :lol:
Weird. I always thought people were serious. I'm not sure what people were hoping to improve doing that. I'd think that a decently constructed cabinet wouldn't require it, though it may need the front baffle screws tightened every so often.

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

I think some people probably were serious :lol:

thermionic geek

Post by thermionic geek »

The tone is in the vintage screws and grommets. Does your cab have a center post? I added screw to mine because the back would whack into it. It took me way too long to figure out what that noise was as I chugged away.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

thermionic geek wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:30 pm The tone is in the vintage screws and grommets. Does your cab have a center post? I added screw to mine because the back would whack into it. It took me way too long to figure out what that noise was as I chugged away.
Some felt also works, assuming it is close enough.