My guitars tell me what tunings they want.

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Chris Z

My guitars tell me what tunings they want.

Post by Chris Z »

Charvel E and Eb
PRS 408 E and Eb
PRS 594 E only
LP E only

I've tried different tunings, different gauge strings, adjusted truss rods and they either sound good or don't depending on the tuning. I guess its the scale length that dictates it? :blah:

maggotspawn

Re: My guitars tell me what tunings they want.

Post by maggotspawn »

You should try D Standard on the Charvel. Brings the DOOM.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

I could put any of my guitars in E or Eb.... BUT 10s for E and 11s for Eb so they more or less feel the same..... some do need to set up tweaks if I'm going from E to Eb though.... just minor tweaks
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

I have a bass that sounds like a monster in Eb, but for some reason it sounds kinda bland in E. No idea why.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

My guitars try to tell me what tunings they want to be in, but they can get fucked. They don't own me. Some bullshit.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I only play in E Standard so that's what all my guitars are tuned to. Well, actually, I have a partscaster in Eb just for when I need to learn a song that is originally in Eb like VH etc...

Regardless, I do agree that some guitars sound better in an specific tuning. I think there is something to do with the frequency guitar resonates vs the frequency it's tuned to.

But I think you can somewhat work around that by changing the string gauge and set up a bit. For example a guitar that sounds great with 10s in E standard, may need heavier strings and a bit higher action to sound good in Eb or D. I know for a fact that my main Les Paul sounds best in Eb because that's how I used it in my previous bands and when I tuned up to E I immediately felt a difference. But over the yeaqrs I was able to dial it in where it sounds great in E now. It's a bit of a balancing act.

ElDirtySanchez

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

Most my electrics are kept in E standard, my strat is usually tuned down a half step or full step. I think strats sound and feel better when you tune them down.
Acoustics, I always keep 12 strings down a half. 6 string acoustics, I play around with different tunings on those.
Formerly Rock Flag and Eagle

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I agree about Strats sounding better tuned to Eb, just adds something nice. My Pacer seems to be ideal in E, the other 3 are pretty flexible.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

FAKA!

Post by FAKA! »

Chris Z wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:46 pm My guitars tell me what tunings they want.
Man, I haven't taken in mushrooms in forever.... 🤙

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

macaronisalad wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:19 pm I agree about Strats sounding better tuned to Eb, just adds something nice. My Pacer seems to be ideal in E, the other 3 are pretty flexible.
Funnily enough, I was thinking the same thing the other night, my Strat prefers Eb over E or D.