How’s these couple of clips?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

How’s these couple of clips?

Post by Endtime »

Yknow me always messing around. But I have been recording a lot. Working on tunes and I kinda had everything “good”, but I truly never went Thru my cabs and mics like one would if they were really trying to find the best “studio” tone. So I did that recently for a song I may just post here in a bit, and the results were better for sure. So of course i spent a few hours yesterday going thru my OTHER cab I’m pretty sure I want to use. I experimented and made a ton of clips to compare. But I’ll just post 2! Haha one with the 6505 boosted and the other with the 5153 el34 100 straight in. To some degree I did want to get them as close as possible because Im happy with the tone and from all my past albums I always would switch amps depending on the song. Even if they were dialed in similar, just liked that bit of a difference.

Anyway micing the Creamback 65 with an sm7b. So this is NOT a song I’m using . I loaded up a few beats and I jammed out what I refer to as dance riffs! Haha to me anyway. Back in the day, like high school and shit and if everybody was hanging and I had a guitar I would come up with this riffs that would get people dancing! Haha. Serious.. prolly should just do that instead of death metal.. but I regress!

Lastly I gotta say that damn boosted 6505. It’s still such a brutal tone. I can get the 5153 close but it’s the difference between a 5150 and 5150 ii, which the 5153 is based off of. It just can’t quite get that grunt…

6505 https://app.box.com/s/5z57mo1u1f7hbkstgyrkagohmjm9tkcl

5153 el34 100. https://app.box.com/s/o7p65ngyg8vp00al5lmhvncdg7w80yvu

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: How’s these couple of clips?

Post by Guitarbilly »

Both clips sound great!!! The 5153 clip does a bit less aggressive to me, but it's like the difference between getting punched by Mike Tyson now vs in 1992 :lol: the 1992 punch is certainly more damaging but it's not like you'd walk away from the present day punch unharmed either lol

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

Both sound really good. Hard to say which is better

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Guitarbilly wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:23 pm Both clips sound great!!! The 5153 clip does a bit less aggressive to me, but it's like the difference between getting punched by Mike Tyson now vs in 1992 :lol: the 1992 punch is certainly more damaging but it's not like you'd walk away from the present day punch unharmed either lol
Hah yeah pretty much. It really comes down to the boost adding the bit more aggression. The thing is I can tell exactly what frequencies that are slightly boosted in the 6505. It’s right in the 1khz range. Which is usually an area I take some out. But the 5150/6505 with a boost hits that area quite a bit. I even ended up with settings I’ve never even considered before . On BOTH amps. After 2 plus years I actually realized the 5153’s eq operates a bit different than I really understood. Cause at times it was too many mids! But pull them back and the upper mids can become a little Honky. Turn them up and it “fattens” em up more or less. Sorta rounds the mids out rather adding More, if that makes sense. Then obviously the low and high controls interact more based on how the mids are set. So on the Evh all eq is basically at “7” (2 o’clock). Hell the gain is at 7 too. But again it’s not so much adding gain just thickening. It’s plenty clear almost the entire sweep.
On the 6505, the trend is pres up these days but I turned presence down and treble up. On the 5153 too harsh. Somehow I never tried treble this high with the 6505. So I ended up L 7.5 M 2.5 H 7.5 Res 7 Pres 2. And when boosted this gets real close to all “7’s” on the evh

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah I never was able to run the mids above 3 on the Peavey and I don't even play metal. But I do boost for leads and with the Peavey the mids always had to be set low or it became unbearable when boosted.

I think Ed used to set his amp around 2.5 too

The EVH is voiced a bit different so the mids can be set higher and the boost is not needed. Then highs/lows were compensated in the power amp with depth and resonance. That's how I dialed mine but going for an obviously different type of tone.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

PV definitely needs them down. I still don’t know how so many love V30s with that amp because of that mid heavy sound but yeah Mids down around 2. 3 MAX.

With the EVH tho, I’m sure I’ve experimented a million different ways but where I’ve ended up I didn’t do very often that’s for sure. And maybe the speaker cab I was using wasn’t moving or whatver. But now I hear that perfect blend of raw aggression of the PV with some of the mid refinement of the EVh. It’s way more raw now. It seriously brings a smile to my face. I even LOOK at the amp different. Lol. Now it looks a little meaner. Hahaha

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Dude this fucks so hard. The harmonies randomly thrown in like at 1:08 are bad ass

Plus the bass intro/riff are kinda bouncier than your normal stuff. Can't place exactly who is reminds me of but cool shit.

Oh yeah, I think I prefer the edgier 6505 tone but both are great and fit the song. Keep playing this shit! It's fun!
Ukraine? Mykraine

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Yeah, both sound great! I don't think I like one better than the other here.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:59 am Dude this fucks so hard. The harmonies randomly thrown in like at 1:08 are bad ass

Plus the bass intro/riff are kinda bouncier than your normal stuff. Can't place exactly who is reminds me of but cool shit.

Oh yeah, I think I prefer the edgier 6505 tone but both are great and fit the song. Keep playing this shit! It's fun!
Hah thanks man. Definitely some “bounce” in these riffs. It is fun in the moment. Sorta goofy metal riffs I enjoy more than one would think. Since I never use these ideas. Like ever . lol. Im prolly missing what little avenue that would connect bigger. I guess for me it’s just an extension of that Van Halen vibe. Where he had some sick grooves. I mean they weren’t super heavy as a band but there was always a little sleaze behind some of their grooves, like Dirty Movies or Take your Whiskey home. When my German buddy and I started “World of Shit” back in our early 20s. Our “mission statement “ was the Van Halen of death metal. Some have thrown that label around to Morbid Angel. But mainly cause he does a ton of tapping. I wanted it to be in the riffs and “fun”. And our first EP was still pretty brutal , and if it was uploaded(it was done in 2001-2002) I would link some of those songs. But I think one could hear that VH idea we had.

Anyway, this riffs aren’t anywhere near as hard as what we were doing but it still applies that this sort of grooves are there cause that’s what we initially SET out to do. So I guess it just became a part of my playing DNA even tho, I’m the only one who hears these ideas these days! Haha

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Maybe some interesting comparisons. So I have FIvE 4x12s these days! I actually want one more. The matching Evh to my amp but I do have the speakers that seem to do the trick. Anyway I made one speaker swap after my experiments and a final few clip comparisons. So I put back my k100s in my cab I made. Those aren’t my favorite but no doubt those hit BIG and they sounded great in my cab I made. I had a mix of g12-65 with the k100. No all k100s! And I switch the g12-65 in with the 8 ohm Mesa v30.

I k so the clip is 2 min. But I actually made it for a reason. It has kinda all manners of metal rhythm playing. Some fast picking. Start stop, unmuted chords. Heavy palm mute etc. so IE, the V30s sound like I know and somewhat hard! But the heavy palm mutes did sound good. The k100s?? Idk. Maybe the best in the mix here and the Heritage g12-65 are the best pure tone to me. Maybe lack a touch of punch but they are so even and “rich” sounding.

So clips..

G12-65 https://app.box.com/s/guwl00zay90mbggxdefmntsn3uoqknum

G12-k100 https://app.box.com/s/334uf0amp29m9v40769n9cl6kfejyao5

Mesa V30 8 ohm https://app.box.com/s/g7ojs47xjhsiv7e3l31h4xddhgzd777y