Hey, everyone -- what should I get as a backup amp?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Spaced Out Ace

Hey, everyone -- what should I get as a backup amp?

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

I have a Fryette Power Station PS-2A as a poweramp for my Synergy Syn-2 preamps that seems to be experiencing tube noise issues. I plan to replace the tubes, and hopefully that will fix the issue.

My question is: what should I get as a backup? I was contemplating a Synergy Syn50 head or a Syn5050 poweramp, but I am open to other options.

The budget is it depends on what it is and the price. IE, if it doesn't really fit in well with my current setup, I might be less likely to spend 2k than if it did fit in with my current setup.

eyeball987

Re: Hey, everyone -- what should I get as a backup amp?

Post by eyeball987 »

I have read that the Syn5050 lacks some low end so I would go with the Syn50 out of those choices to stay in the Synergy world. If you are gigging, I would probably go with some type of modeler as a backup because they are easy to move around and can go direct to FOH with no amp needed in a pinch. No tube issues either.

Personally, I like tubes and hate tweaking digital gear but tons of players are getting great modeling tones live these days with very easy set up and tear downs.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

For a simple backup for your power amp, I'd just get one of those small ISP Stealth power amps and keep it on your gig bag. They sound good and you can bring it with you as a backup without having to carry a whole second amp.

That said, the Synergy head sounds great and it would give you the flexibility to use your Synergy modules in rack or head formats,. Or you can have different modules in each system etc... it adds a lot more flexibility to your set up.

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

Have you thought about an older Randall solid state head? The older RG120ES models can get pretty wicked before pedals are introduced. Wasn't sure if that's the direction you wanted to go, but I was thinking last ditch effort and reliability.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

eyeball987 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:11 pm I have read that the Syn5050 lacks some low end so I would go with the Syn50 out of those choices to stay in the Synergy world. If you are gigging, I would probably go with some type of modeler as a backup because they are easy to move around and can go direct to FOH with no amp needed in a pinch. No tube issues either.

Personally, I like tubes and hate tweaking digital gear but tons of players are getting great modeling tones live these days with very easy set up and tear downs.
I don't play live, just at home. In that scenario, I'd need an amp with a modeler.
Guitarbilly wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:26 pm For a simple backup for your power amp, I'd just get one of those small ISP Stealth power amps and keep it on your gig bag. They sound good and you can bring it with you as a backup without having to carry a whole second amp.

That said, the Synergy head sounds great and it would give you the flexibility to use your Synergy modules in rack or head formats,. Or you can have different modules in each system etc... it adds a lot more flexibility to your set up.
The ISP Stealth seems cool. I had a Duncan Power Stage 170, but I think something I was doing with it was killing speakers. Not too sure.

They are 15% off right now, so a head and a handful of modules seems majorly enticing. Just don't tell my wallet.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

linthat22 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:52 pm Have you thought about an older Randall solid state head? The older RG120ES models can get pretty wicked before pedals are introduced. Wasn't sure if that's the direction you wanted to go, but I was thinking last ditch effort and reliability.
The Dokken fan in me would rock the hell out of one, though the practical side of me doesn't want to track down a tech to replace old caps. Solid state doesn't really exist anymore (outside of modeling and not so great mini heads from Quilter), so it's sad that it didn't improve like modeling has. Then again, you could argue solid state is like disco and is just taking many different guises.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Spaced Out Ace wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:58 pm
The ISP Stealth seems cool. I had a Duncan Power Stage 170, but I think something I was doing with it was killing speakers. Not too sure.

They are 15% off right now, so a head and a handful of modules seems majorly enticing. Just don't tell my wallet.
The ISP and the Seymour Duncan are very different from each other. The SD is a class D power amp (digital), while the ISP is true Class AB, which sounds much better for guitar.

But yeah, if you can swing it, the Synergy 50 head would be the best option. Or even the Synergy 30 for home use. The 30 only allows you to load 1 module but it has a built-in clean channel.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Yeah, if you're doing the Synergy stuff, I would probably look at the SYN-30.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

ninjaraf wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:32 pm Yeah, if you're doing the Synergy stuff, I would probably look at the SYN-30.
Is that a combo or 1 module head? I forget which off the top of my head.

How are the lows these days?
Last edited by Spaced Out Ace on Fri May 24, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:19 pm
Spaced Out Ace wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:58 pm

The ISP and the Seymour Duncan are very different from each other. The SD is a class D power amp (digital), while the ISP is true Class AB, which sounds much better for guitar.

But yeah, if you can swing it, the Synergy 50 head would be the best option. Or even the Synergy 30 for home use. The 30 only allows you to load 1 module but it has a built-in clean channel.
I have several OS modules. They get great high gain and clean up awesome. The Synergy stuff is currently 15% off. I was completing that route, but was curious to hear other ideas before I spend the cash.