NAD: Mark Madness

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Re: NAD: Mark Madness

Post by spawnofthesith »

Cool! Never knew that
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

There’s definitely a commonality among them and it is very Fender like in the circuits. The biggest jump gain wise happened between IIB to IIC+ but even then there’s still some Fender in the sounds of the models beyond the IIC+. The original Mark circuitry was always based off a hot rodded Bassman that had its gain stages cascaded. This cascading happens post tone stack so dialing these amps in is a bit different than something like a Marshall or even a Recto. Hence why the GEQ was added post gain stages for further tone shaping first as an option and then as part of the amp line permanently with the Mark IV. The V, JPC2C and VII still have a commonality to the older amps too, albeit with some slightly simplified controls and a little more modern sounds. But even then the lower gain modes on all these amps still can get in the Fender ballpark. The VII even has a mode based on the old IIB Mark amps not to mention the clean modes.

I’ve had 5 different Marks. They were all great amps. The IV was probably my favorite but I’d rock a V again. They really are practically a do all amp and they sound great doing it.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Even the Princeton Boogies had bassman stuff in them. The idea was to gut a Bassman, put a 12” speaker in and cram a Bassman circuit into a Princeton.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

greatmutah wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:33 pm he VII even has a mode based on the old IIB Mark amps not to mention the clean modes.
That IIB mode is one of the more intriguing things on the VII to me. Can't remember which demo it was when they dropped but the guy playing a tele on that mode sounded mind blowingly good. Made me gas for a IIB :lol:

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I played a real IIB combo with the EVM once. A local shop had one traded in. Hardwood combo. It sounded excellent and I was playing a Tele through it also lol. Great amp. Not the kind of high gain that the IIC, III and IV are known for. Cool amp though.

One other interesting note. While both companies/designers went in different directions and sounds, Randy Smith and Howard Dumble both started their amps by modifying and cascading the gain stages of Fender amps. There’s definitely some similarities between early Boogies and Dumbles. Note I said “some” similarities. TGP crowd would have pitchforks out. Obviously Mesa and Dumble had different ears and ideas for what they wanted their amps to do.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

turbopablo

Post by turbopablo »

greatmutah wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:04 pm I played a real IIB combo with the EVM once. A local shop had one traded in. Hardwood combo. It sounded excellent and I was playing a Tele through it also lol. Great amp. Not the kind of high gain that the IIC, III and IV are known for. Cool amp though.

One other interesting note. While both companies/designers went in different directions and sounds, Randy Smith and Howard Dumble both started their amps by modifying and cascading the gain stages of Fender amps. There’s definitely some similarities between early Boogies and Dumbles. Note I said “some” similarities. TGP crowd would have pitchforks out. Obviously Mesa and Dumble had different ears and ideas for what they wanted their amps to do.
That's funny. I saw Robben Ford years ago and became enamored with his Dumble toanz. When I got home, I plugged into my MarkIII Green Stripe and was able to get pretty damn close to what I was hearing a hour earlier.

It's a fantastic brand of gain and crunch.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

greatmutah wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:04 pm I played a real IIB combo with the EVM once. A local shop had one traded in. Hardwood combo. It sounded excellent and I was playing a Tele through it also lol. Great amp. Not the kind of high gain that the IIC, III and IV are known for. Cool amp though.

Nice! Yeah the tone in question wasn’t a bruta high gain or anything just a really stunning drive tone

Rivera in that camp as well, people always say the Rivera drive sounds like Marshall, but I didn’t necessarily agree with my short lives duo 12. I described as sounding like a cousin of a Mesa lol

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Yeah Paul came a bit later and worked directly for Fender but yes definitely more in the Fender the camp.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

Guitarbilly wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:12 am Great trade!!!! I like Rectos but I take a Mark over a Recto any day.
Same, I really don't like recto at all.

I've played like 3 or 4 and every one of them has left much to be desired.

I have heard a total of 2 that were great, my buddy's Single and that video Frankenhouser just dropped with the ST9+ Pro boost.

With that said my old Mark series was instant gratification and I'd have made that trade without thinking. Good score.