NAD: Mark Madness

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

NAD: Mark Madness

Post by spawnofthesith »

Just did a straight trade for my roadster for a Mark V. I used to have a V and always regretted selling it. The roadster is an epic and amazing amp, but my 5153 gets me “that sound” faster and easier in a more convenient package. I would totally own another one

Only spent a little bit of time with the V so far but just a smile on my face the whole time. This is a very different amp than the mark IV, which is a good thing imo. I like having both :D

Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: NAD: Mark Madness

Post by Guitarbilly »

Great trade!!!! I like Rectos but I take a Mark over a Recto any day.
How's the loop on the V?
Are the IV and V the same length? Could you swap the IV into the headshell and vice versa?

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Nice! My thoughts on the Mark IV vs V was that the V did better in the low to mid gain sounds than the IV. But the IV lead channel just kicks the crap out of the Vs. You can dial the V similar on the lead modes but the IV lead channel just feels more open and dynamic to play. Plus I like that it still has the different gains/drives for that channel that also interacted when building your tone. But the V is not a bad amp at all. And it’s good to have both.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Kardula

Post by Kardula »

awesome. the mark series is awesome.
I might have figured out how this stuff works

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Thanks dudes!!

The IV (and III as well) definitely have a more raw/aggressive lead channel where the V is more smooth and modern sounding, which I like
Guitarbilly wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:12 am Great trade!!!! I like Rectos but I take a Mark over a Recto any day.
How's the loop on the V?
Are the IV and V the same length? Could you swap the IV into the headshell and vice versa?

Yeah I wasn’t planning on moving the recto but the dude mentioned jn the add that he would trade for a roadster specifically. Mark comes out ahead in value too so was hard to resist

Loop seems great, not seeing any issues with my looper too

I have the short combo mark IV so unfortunately it’s a fair bit shorter

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Forgot how good these cleans are. Best clean tone of any amp I’ve ever played by far :love:

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

So funny we differently we all perceive things. The IV is one of my all time favorites, while the V is one of my bottom 3 amps I've ever played. Hated that thing. So stiff and lifeless. I don't remember the cleans too well, but if you think those are good, the VII and JP are basically mind blowing cleans by comparison.

Regardless, good deal, value-wise.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

ninjaraf wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:51 am So funny we differently we all perceive things. The IV is one of my all time favorites, while the V is one of my bottom 3 amps I've ever played. Hated that thing. So stiff and lifeless. I don't remember the cleans too well, but if you think those are good, the VII and JP are basically mind blowing cleans by comparison.

Yeah I know the Vs aren’t exactly the most popular around here haha but it was my favorite amp 15 years ago and it is still holding up for me now it seems :love: :lol:

I know it’s still honeymoon but if the Nazis came today and told me I could only keep one of my marks I’d probably choose the over the IV :cop:

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

spawnofthesith wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:28 pm
ninjaraf wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:51 am So funny we differently we all perceive things. The IV is one of my all time favorites, while the V is one of my bottom 3 amps I've ever played. Hated that thing. So stiff and lifeless. I don't remember the cleans too well, but if you think those are good, the VII and JP are basically mind blowing cleans by comparison.

Yeah I know the Vs aren’t exactly the most popular around here haha but it was my favorite amp 15 years ago and it is still holding up for me now it seems :love: :lol:

I know it’s still honeymoon but if the Nazis came today and told me I could only keep one of my marks I’d probably choose the over the IV :cop:
…dibs on your IV :cop:
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

greatmutah wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm
spawnofthesith wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:28 pm

…dibs on your IV :cop:
:lol:

No amp nazis on the horizon yet :P