How are you managing the PA topic in your band?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Marc G

Re: How are you managing the PA topic in your band?

Post by Marc G »

I own the PA that my band uses, but I also am a part owner of a small live band production/promotion/event management company which has some gear at my disposal.... we don't often use the PA for gigs and when we do we charge extra for it and if repairs ever has to be done to the gear the band has no issue taking gig money and chipping up to pay for it... that being said, I've only ever had to change a power supply in one EV powered speaker... my band mates also have their own IEMs, mics etc so it's not 100% my gear going to those gigs.....

the reason I bit the bullet and just got the PA gear for myself was because I've been in bands where it was shared and it was a mess when member wanted to leave the band or the band eventually broke up... everyone had different ideas on what to do with the gear
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

facefirst

Post by facefirst »

Shared gear is always a mess, in my experience. I bought the PA because previously the drummer threw a fit and quit. He owned the PA so it hosed us. This way nobody can take their ball and go home.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

facefirst wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 pm Shared gear is always a mess, in my experience. I bought the PA because previously the drummer threw a fit and quit. He owned the PA so it hosed us. This way nobody can take their ball and go home.
I mean, except you. You now have that power lol
Ukraine? Mykraine

facefirst

Post by facefirst »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 pm
facefirst wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 pm Shared gear is always a mess, in my experience. I bought the PA because previously the drummer threw a fit and quit. He owned the PA so it hosed us. This way nobody can take their ball and go home.
Well somebody has to have the power. I’d rather it be me.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

facefirst wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:26 pm
Vladimir Putin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 pm
Well somebody has to have the power. I’d rather it be me.
For sure. I did the same thing :lol:
Ukraine? Mykraine

fastredponycar

Post by fastredponycar »

Our singer takes it upon himself to buy all the PA and lights and stuff but we were using a cheaper sub on one side of the stage so I splurged on a QSC KS212C K.

That's it. If there are other things needing to be bought, the rest of the guys can figure it out.
Too much junk to list with 255 characters. :facepalm:

Check my gear reviews
https://www.youtube.com/@FastRedPonyCar

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

fastredponycar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:23 pm Our singer takes it upon himself to buy all the PA and lights and stuff but we were using a cheaper sub on one side of the stage so I splurged on a QSC KS212C K.

That's it. If there are other things needing to be bought, the rest of the guys can figure it out.
You found an unicorn!!! :lol: :eek: Never get rid of this singer :lol:

fastredponycar

Post by fastredponycar »

Oh and he helps unload/setup and tear down the PA too :lol:

Our previous singer would show up with his notebook with all the lyrics and a microphone. Couldn't be bothered to learn the words, would sit at the bar after the shows and wait to get paid and then walk out the door, etc...

If we were lucky, he would wrap (badly) his mic cable that goes to the PA.
Too much junk to list with 255 characters. :facepalm:

Check my gear reviews
https://www.youtube.com/@FastRedPonyCar

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

My singer owned the PA... and his decisions on what to buy are why I took over. Now we're just using his speakers and the rest of the PA is the band's.

He was taking a more budget approach (tops too small, Chinese mics, Amazon cables, etc), whereas I insist on going more industry standard/tour grade, so having 5 people pool their money together lets us have nicer gear without putting all the burden on one individual.

I have thought about what happens when the band breaks up, but I'm cool with walking away with zero and letting the rest fight over it.

Alternatively, as none of them are technically inclined I'll make a cash offer and buy it for myself.