Guitar World/Guitarist article - seriously?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
macaronisalad

Re: Guitar World/Guitarist article - seriously?

Post by macaronisalad »

Guitarbilly wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:13 pm Yeah I think tube amps have been a niche item for a long time. Even back when I started playing in the 80s, SA amps like Peavey Bandits, Crates outsold tube amps by a lot.

And yeah man, prices are still crazy for a lot of used gear. And supply is low too. Taking the Laney GH for example, I remember when they were 500 and easy to find in the used market. Now they're like 800-1000 and hard to come across even at those prices. Which probably means people that own them are not letting them go.

I also agree that tube amps are geared towards gigging musicians. If I was retired from gigging I'd be more than fine using some kind of SS or digital device for home playing.
I'll sell you mine for 750 shipped :lol:
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'd want an 100w.
But don't sell that amp. There's not a lot you can get for 750 that would be better or even as good

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

Guitarbilly wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:35 pm I'd want an 100w.
But don't sell that amp. There's not a lot you can get for 750 that would be better or even as good
I know, anytime I think of moving it just because I'm restless, I listen to clips and go "why would I do that to myself?" :lol:

I could see myself moving my LP for another amp, but I'd be a dumbass to sell this amp only to try to replace it with something like a JCM 800, for 3 times the amount of money :lol:

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Maybe there will be a handwired 2203 in the classifieds soon :whistle:

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

I wonder if the author knew there are new tube manufacturers here in the States? Like new new.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I’m still waiting to hear if/when Western Electric is going to roll out tube production. I’d love to buy preamp and power tubes from them.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

DFGrueban

Post by DFGrueban »

Yeah even Laney got into the plugin game. Which is kind of interesting. If you buy an IronHeart you get an ironheart plugin.

I'm sure you could get them to sound similar but feel for a lot of plugins still just aren't there.

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

DFGrueban wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:24 pm
True, but that is just the gigging musicians which is not the entirety of musicians. Producers, bed room guitar heros, and people that play more than one instrument are moving to other forms of tone generation. Even people that own tube amps have tubeless travel rigs since they are less cumbersome to travel. I see tube amps as slowly becoming a more luxury item. Remember 10 years ago when 5150's, laney's and a majority of mesa boogies were under a grand in good shape? I just saw a laney GL50 for 1200 dollars in music go round. Since 2020 having a good amp and a decent backup is a lot more cost prohibitive.

I don't see guitar amps going away completely, but I do see them as becoming more of a niche item. Sort of like analog synthesizers in the synth world. Which I think is great because there are a tone of different options, and if you want one sound and for it to be loud and you have the space for it great! If you need more then there are options for that as well. Besides the good ol days when a jcm800 was under a grand I think we are in a great place as far is tone is considered. Tons of options for every budget and need. No more having to buy a plexi and a attenuator to play hack EVH riffs at whisper quiet levels like a majority of middle aged guys. Unless that is something someone enjoys and wants to spend their money doing that then no judgement from me.
If anything, it's easier to find tube amps now than it was 20-30 years ago. I don't think they're dying off, I do think manufacturers are being smart and updating their products for the modern consumer. 20 years ago anything under 100w was a stripped down budget model and sub-30 watts was a glorified practice amp. Now I can get full featured top of the line heads in that power range.

What digital has succeed at is killing off the old solid state amps. Lower end amps is where they seem to have made most of their headway, by the time you get into the good modelling it's cheaper to buy a tube amp and cab.

DFGrueban

Post by DFGrueban »

screamingdaisy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:10 am
DFGrueban wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:24 pm
True, but that is just the gigging musicians which is not the entirety of musicians. Producers, bed room guitar heros, and people that play more than one instrument are moving to other forms of tone generation. Even people that own tube amps have tubeless travel rigs since they are less cumbersome to travel. I see tube amps as slowly becoming a more luxury item. Remember 10 years ago when 5150's, laney's and a majority of mesa boogies were under a grand in good shape? I just saw a laney GL50 for 1200 dollars in music go round. Since 2020 having a good amp and a decent backup is a lot more cost prohibitive.

I don't see guitar amps going away completely, but I do see them as becoming more of a niche item. Sort of like analog synthesizers in the synth world. Which I think is great because there are a tone of different options, and if you want one sound and for it to be loud and you have the space for it great! If you need more then there are options for that as well. Besides the good ol days when a jcm800 was under a grand I think we are in a great place as far is tone is considered. Tons of options for every budget and need. No more having to buy a plexi and a attenuator to play hack EVH riffs at whisper quiet levels like a majority of middle aged guys. Unless that is something someone enjoys and wants to spend their money doing that then no judgement from me.
If anything, it's easier to find tube amps now than it was 20-30 years ago. I don't think they're dying off, I do think manufacturers are being smart and updating their products for the modern consumer. 20 years ago anything under 100w was a stripped down budget model and sub-30 watts was a glorified practice amp. Now I can get full featured top of the line heads in that power range.

What digital has succeed at is killing off the old solid state amps. Lower end amps is where they seem to have made most of their headway, by the time you get into the good modelling it's cheaper to buy a tube amp and cab.
I see your side. There aren't really any modern classics that are made outside of china that are really available. Amps like the 5150 or hot rod deluxe or dual recto that used to be 7-800 on the used market don't really exist anymore. But at the same time no more blue voodoos or Peavey Windsors or B52 amps.

I lump the solid state stuff in with modeling as they are kind of blurring the lines these days. But a lot of that stuff has gone the way of pedal size since they have gotten way more efficient and since they don't need to match tube amp headshells. With products like the katana or the ampero stuff and a PA there is a lot more options than just Line 6 vs Fractal. Basically everything exists if you have the cash for it. But I don't see the average person with 4-5 tube amps like 10-15 years ago.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I can't remember if I wrote this thought earlier in the thread, but with the digital stuff, it makes it a lot harder to just go "jam with friends".

When you are first getting started playing music, and the guitar player(s), drummer, bass player are all dragging whatever amp or gear they could scrape enough money together to buy, to blast at each other. Now, kids can have all kinds of tones to come out of headphones or computer, but they are ill equipped to actually make live music with other humans, unless one of the buddies has a PA, which they likely don't.