NAD

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
2tallmusic

NAD

Post by 2tallmusic »

Last week I got a used Dr Z Cure:

cure.jpg
cure.jpg (241.62 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Around a year ago I was GASing for exact that amp from Proguitar but for some reasons I ended up preordering a MESA Fillmore 25. Some time later the Cure disappeared from the Proguitar website and it was obviously sold. Now one year later there are still no signs of the MESA Boogie guys getting their sh*t together and deliver again to the European market and hence I am pretty excited the original plan came back to life. The seller got it from Proguitar last summer and was asking a really reasonable price. After I got the the amp last week, I played it, I immediately loved it and consequently canceled my preorder for the Fillmore. At the end of the day I have saved now 700 bucks compared to the anticipated Mesa deal.

Sonically the amp is fantastic - works super well with my pedalboard, cuts much better than my both DV Marks that I have so far used with the cover bands and though small and lightweight, the combo is not boxy sounding and has for the size a surprisingly strong bottom end. I couldn't have asked for more!

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: NAD

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah the Zs are really the best amps in their style. They're also really loud for their wattage. If I ever switch to pedal platform amps the Zs are the ones to get.

Beef

Post by Beef »

That’s awesome man. I love both of my Z’s and would have no qualms about any others. Hah back in the early 2000’s I thought they were the pinnacle and now I own 2. Feels good. Enjoy it!
Wu-Tang is for the children.

colejustesen

Post by colejustesen »

I would love to grab a Dr. Z at some point. They sound so good! The Cure definitely is one that caught my eyes and ears.

Congrats on a cool amp!

Cole

2tallmusic

Post by 2tallmusic »

Thanks guys!
Guitarbilly wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:24 pm Yeah the Zs are really the best amps in their style. They're also really loud for their wattage. If I ever switch to pedal platform amps the Zs are the ones to get.
It is true, the wattage rating is probably extremely conservative. The nice thing about the Cure is the Level knob which brings the volume down without losing the charakter and the breakup of the selected Gain/Master setting.
Beef wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:30 am That’s awesome man. I love both of my Z’s and would have no qualms about any others. Hah back in the early 2000’s I thought they were the pinnacle and now I own 2. Feels good. Enjoy it!
Thanks! The pinnacle comment resonates well with me and I already feel torn between “I have everything I need” and “hey, there are more Zs out that have not tried yet” :angel: :twisted:
colejustesen wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:54 am I would love to grab a Dr. Z at some point. They sound so good! The Cure definitely is one that caught my eyes and ears.

Congrats on a cool amp!
Thanks Cole! If you get a chance to play one, go for it! In the US you should have quite some options. Here we have one shop in Germany and one in the Netherlands which really limits the availability and that’s why I am so happy with this deal :)

colejustesen

Post by colejustesen »

I don't have anyone local that carries Dr. Z, so it would either require me traveling to another city to try, or just ordering one to check out.

That being said, the Route 66 from yesteryear was one I have always wanted to try.

Cole

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Sick :love:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Dr. Z is about 30 minutes away from me. Have never been there though. Not even sure that his shop is set up for people to just stop by.

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

Congrats and HNAD!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

That Marshall, though... :heart: :fap:
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

2tallmusic

Post by 2tallmusic »

colejustesen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:12 pm I don't have anyone local that carries Dr. Z, so it would either require me traveling to another city to try, or just ordering one to check out.

That being said, the Route 66 from yesteryear was one I have always wanted to try.
Ok convinced, we are more or less in the same boat - but with my recent experience I'd consider the risk low to get disappointed by just ordering one :)
spawnofthesith wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm Sick :love:
Thanks!
eyeball987 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:54 pm Dr. Z is about 30 minutes away from me. Have never been there though. Not even sure that his shop is set up for people to just stop by.
I just watched a video from Sweetwater visiting the Dr. Z - looks all super down to earth and I would not expect a fancy showroom. But hey, 30 min. - could be worth a try :idk:
I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:21 am Congrats and HNAD!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

That Marshall, though... :heart: :fap:
Thanks man! The Astoria is a different animal - brighter and a bit more aggressive but complements the Dr. Z quite well.