Anyone prefer the red channel on a DSL100H?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
bonano

Anyone prefer the red channel on a DSL100H?

Post by bonano »

I've had my DSL100H for a few weeks now and I'm finding the green (clean/crunch) channel is more usable. For now I've only been going straight in with a Tele or a Les Paul playing rock, pop, and blues type of shit. The red channel is too noisy and seems to lack bass on my amp. It's kinda fun for palm-muting stuff, but for what I habitually play, the green channel has been a whole lot more fun and versatile than the red.

colejustesen

Re: Anyone prefer the red channel on a DSL100H?

Post by colejustesen »

I never was fond of the red channel on the JCM2000 models I had. For me, it was the green channel with gain at 1 o'clock and the crunch button engaged. I could roll back the volume to get a cleanish sound, or hit it with a pedal to go into high gain. The pedal is no longer made, but my weapon of choice with the DSL was a Lovekraft Mojo Drive. I should have never sold off that pedal.

Cole

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I pretty much lived on "Red 1" on my 100H, kept the gain within a click or two of noon, and never had any complaints.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Mike Oxhuge

Post by Mike Oxhuge »

Billy will chime in, use his settings. Makes red channel sound even more Plexi like while crunch green is more like an 800. Still my favorite Marshall channel switcher.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

On the JCM2000 I used Red 2 almost exclusively, which is counterintuitive to what most people say. Here’s what I did though. Volume at least at 3 - 4, gain at 2 - 3, deep on and boost it with a SD-1. With Red 1 you didn’t need a boost to tighten it up and you can run the gain a little higher. I’d add some bass or resonance if needed. Your EQ settings on the red channel may not be the same as on green crunch.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Mike Oxhuge wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:49 am Billy will chime in, use his settings. Makes red channel sound even more Plexi like while crunch green is more like an 800. Still my favorite Marshall channel switcher.
I never really cared for the Red channel until I heard Bill's in person. His settings make it so much more usable.
Ukraine? Mykraine

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah the Red channel is all I use. The trick is to keep the gain and EQ low, (under 4) and give it some volume.
My settings are gain 2.5 , treble 2, presence 2, bass 3 mids 1, although that can vary a bit depending on the cab.
I use Red 1 but Red 2 works fine with these settings too, it's just a bit fatter and fuzzier.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:56 pm Yeah the Red channel is all I use. The trick is to keep the gain and EQ low, (under 4) and give it some volume.
My settings are gain 2.5 , treble 2, presence 2, bass 3 mids 1, although that can vary a bit depending on the cab.
I use Red 1 but Red 2 works fine with these settings too, it's just a bit fatter and fuzzier.
damn..... that's some seriously counter-intuitive settings for any amp

do those EQ settings translate over the clean/crunch channel or you just live on the red channel with those settings?
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Also depends on your speakers a bit. I could run treble and mids a little higher with Greenbacks and Creambacks. I rarely went over 5 on those on my old 2000.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

bonano

Post by bonano »

Marc G wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:18 pm damn..... that's some seriously counter-intuitive settings for any amp
That's what this amp has got me thinking - counter-intuitive shit. Clean settings for gain and dirty settings for clean. I'm getting some new sounds that I'm having fun with.

I'll have to try Billy's settings. I brought a 412 to my work and effectively have a halfstack in my classroom - teehee :lol: . I play at volume till like 20 minutes before school begins. I'll see if I have time after school.