Boring comparison but it’s all I have. Old vs New!

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

Boring comparison but it’s all I have. Old vs New!

Post by Endtime »

So after swapping in some creambacks in my old 5150 cab to pair with the Evh Celestions I already had in there I knew I’d miss that old Sheffield 1200 sound. So I had one other 4x12 that I wasn’t using and I tried the Evh/Creamback mix in there and it still sounded great maybe even a bit better. So I went and swapped back my OG 5150 sheffield speakers and decided to throw in some 80s g12t-75s I used for so long. Then I went and used my 6505 head booster with a Marshall Guv’nor and miced both the t75 and Sheffield. It’s a 50/50 mix…. I even used my Peavey Wolfgang. So basically all almost 30 year old gear, besides the 6505. But guitar, cab/speakers and Guv’nor are all 80s or 90s. And it really does have that always familiar sound..

So I then used my 5153 el34 100 watt and using just a 57 I mic’d an 8 ohm Celestion Evh. Speaker, I broke the string on the PV Wolfgang, so I figured we’ll it’ll only make sense to use the Evh Wolfgang. Both have the stock pickups that each come with. Only difference I didn’t boost the Evh 5153.. Since I used the red channel. Lame riffa. First drum loop I loaded and made sumthin easy to remember straight away. So don’t mind that. It’s nothing I’m working on or anything.

6505 booster with Guv’nor. 1200/t75 speaker mix 57/421 respectively

https://app.box.com/s/9rty7ohd1lf6wgkfqfjdhf121ibrtego

5153 Evh speaker. https://app.box.com/s/isvhbl157n4frmxtabtf9zxlokpmtbzx

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Boring comparison but it’s all I have. Old vs New!

Post by Guitarbilly »

Ok so....

Both sound great. I have no issues with either tone, but I slightly prefer the 2nd clip over the first one. But it's hard to pinpoint why since there are a lot of variables...

it could be that I liked the 5153 over the 6505... or maybe the EVH speakers over the 75s? Or maybe even the EVH wolfgang vs the PV Wolfgang? or even all of it?? :argh: Who knows... :lol:

it would be cool to isolate each component....

same guitar, same amp, different speakers
same guitar, same speakers, different amp
same speakers, same amp, different guitar

but as it stands, I like "new" over "old" :lol:

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

i like the 6505 much more, the 5153 sounds nasally in comparison to me. thats interesting mic'ing both speakers, i was thinking the other day how ive never tried that, maybe ill give it a go

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

They both have qualities I like. I like the gain structure of the 5153 more and it seems more "alive" for lack of better word but I prefer the low end of the first clip quite a bit more. The evh speaker gets more undefined in the low end but the high end is much more nicer imo especially when you're hitting the higher strings.
Ukraine? Mykraine