E/Eb players what's your setup preference?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!

what's your setup preference?

Light strings/low action
14%
Light strings/mid action
18%
Light strings/high action
No votes
Regular strings/low action
27%
Regular strings/mid action
23%
Regular strings/high action
No votes
Heavy strings/low action
5%
Heavy strings/mid action
14%
Heavy strings/high action
No votes

Total votes: 22

screamingdaisy

Re: E/Eb players what's your setup preference?

Post by screamingdaisy »

I voted medium, although I alternate between 10s and 11s periodically.

Action is medium. I usually go for the factory setup. I like to dig in, and I find I choke a low action out too much.

Lanceanot

Post by Lanceanot »

9-42, Typically tune to drop d-flat, 24.75 scale, low action, nearly flat... buzz city, hahaha

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

so I got curious and decided to take some measurements

SG - Eb with 11-49, High E is 1.5mm and Low is 1.75mm

Les Paul - E with 10-46, High E is 1.5mm and Low E is 1.75mm

those measurements kinda surprised me.... mostly because i dialed them in by feel.. but I guess now I have a reference to how I like my action lol
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

I definitely started measuring for quite awhile now. And like everyone else, I went by feel for the entire time until I started getting more and more into building, then consistency mattered more. Cause I didn’t take the first measurement on the first day and assumed that must be it! My favorite height! Hah. I would take measurements and just make mental notes and I would keep setting up by feel and I realized straight away, feel doesn’t last at all, it changes guitar to guitar. Which to some degree I do treat most of my instruments differently. Some might just feel better even with the same gauge and tunings. Soemtimes I don’t even understand how guitars with all the same basic specs can have such varying “feel”, even when setup the same… But that shit happens which is why Feel is good to get your base but afterwards, measuring definitely helps dial in everything…

Anyway, what was I sayin… hahahah

But eFlat I go 10-48 25.5 scale. Or 10-50 for 24.75

E standard I do 9-46 or 10-46 for short scale. Action is I’d say medium low. I measure low side a hair above 4/64, and the high E just under 4/64s. For guitars I set up, I’ll usually knock the low side up to 5/64 as that’s sorta the standard for most guitars and go lower if it takes it, otherwise I have to kinda hit the middle ground unless I know the player and what they prefer

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah I usually measure my action too, but it's funny because I like different guitars with different actions. Even between same model guitars, for example, my 3 Les Pauls all have different actions. I think the sweet spot is different for every individual guitar. But once I find the sweet spot on a guitar, I measure it so I can always go back to it. I'd say my action is mid-low on all my guitars but they vary a bit from a guitar to the next.

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

10's // as low as possible // Eb for my band... only because about 20 years ago, I didn't realize that my Boss tuner was on Eb when the key indicator light was in the middle. :cop:
10's //as low as possible // E standard for everything else.
Attachments
boss tu2.jpg
boss tu2.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd