Lets talk Theieles (new cab day)

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
ninjaraf

Re: Lets talk Theieles

Post by ninjaraf »

Prices are coming back down, sometimes. You can find deals here and there. I saw one in Dallas on Reverb for $1400. Lowest I've seen in a while, but local pickup only, sadly. Mine were $1250 a piece when I had them.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

spawnofthesith wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:09 pm I miss my III and V, I've only had the IV for a couple weeks so won't speak on best mark yet... but it's looking pretty good for the IV :lol:

Vlad this IV was $1000 :cop:
You did good, young hippie man
Ukraine? Mykraine

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

:lol:

Picking up the c90 thiele before practice. Will report back

and looking at evm's on reverb :lol: that said, I do typically like C90s, so that may or may not be that urgent or necessary. TBD
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Mine was serviceable with the C90 so I wouldn't say it's a rush... but one day in the future when you have some Rubles to burn you can pick up the EVM.
Ukraine? Mykraine

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

Legend has it if you get the EV loaded cab you will marry 7 virgins.

colejustesen

Post by colejustesen »

I snagged a Thiele from TRM Cabinets, that is made to EV specs. I loaded mine with an EVM12L Classic and it is so freaking good! That speaker is something I should have tried years ago. It is sought after for a reason. Every amp I have sounds fantastic through it.

Cole

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

I had a classic Mesa mini-stack for awhile and I didn't like the Thiele. It sounded weird up close because I could hear the speaker and port separately, and I had to be about 30-40 feet away for the sound to coalesce into a unified sound. It gets even weirder if you stack an open back 1x12 on top of it, because now you have three separate sources, each with a different response. I mostly just used the open back 1x12 because I thought it sounded better. FWIW - I pulled the MC90s and replaced them with V30s.

If you're going to gig it I'm told the thiele can be weird to mic because of the phase relationship between the speaker and port. I only ever used it live once and never mic'd it, so take that with a grain of salt.

Eventually I sold both and bought a Recto 2x12. It was a big improvement in sound, punch and clarity.

I've also had an EVM12L loaded Mark III combo and it could keep up with a 4x12. That was a legit little giant slayer.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Yeah it seems like reviews are either rave or similar to yours above lol.

I’m doing it tho fuck it full send I’ll find out for myself :lol:

On my way to pick it up right now. I have practice tonight and we mic everything up for our IEMs so I’ll get a pretty good sense of that aspect. I will say the combo by itself was one of the easiest to mic up of everything I own/have owned since we started doing things this way

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I was hoping I’d get a quick spin with my 5153 before going to practice as a point of comparison but I’m not gonna have much time and I’m not bringing it upstairs for 5 minutes

And I’ll probably leave it at my drummers house all week too :lol:

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I lied, it’s pretty light. 30 second impression at apartment volumes with my 5153 are very positive

Has a hell of a lot more low end than the EVH 2x12 for sure so that’s an exciting sign. En route to Prwcfuve moe more inpressions to follow