Cab casters

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Cab casters

Post by Guitarbilly »

What do you guys use for 4x12 casters? The stock Marshall casters on my 4x12 were in terrible shape after years of use. I replaced them with those 2" Ernie Ball casters but I didn't like them much, they kept getting stuck on pavement cracks etc.. last week I got a set of 4' rubber casters. These are great to move the cab around but they take some of the low end off the cabinet. Obviously I could install removable casters but I don't want to deal with removing casters on live shows. So I am thinking about finding a mid point between the two, maybe 3" or even 2 1/2'? What do you guys suggest?

Maddnotez

Re: Cab casters

Post by Maddnotez »

Last time I bought casters I got these. They didn't fit my cab holes (mills cab) and they've been sitting in the box for years.

No idea what size they are but If you think theyll work for you let me know and I'll send them out.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Maddnotez wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:08 pm Last time I bought casters I got these. They didn't fit my cab holes (mills cab) and they've been sitting in the box for years.

If you think theyll work from you let me know and I'll send them out.

That's the ones I had until recently. They work fine on perfectly even floors, carpet etc but they get stuck on any cracks or even on rugs etc...

Thanks for offering them though :thu: :heart:

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

The only time that I have changed castors was on the EVH 4X12 that I have. Those were pretty much stock replacements though, and they are removable, so all I had to do was pull the old and insert the new. To be honest, I don't think that I have ever had a cabinet that didn't get stuck on cracks or uneven carpet. Don't think that I would the larger rubber wheels but mainly for aesthetic reasons. Would feel like putting a set of 20" chrome rims on a Honda Civic!

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

eyeball987 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:17 pm The only time that I have changed castors was on the EVH 4X12 that I have. Those were pretty much stock replacements though, and they are removable, so all I had to do was pull the old and insert the new. To be honest, I don't think that I have ever had a cabinet that didn't get stuck on cracks or uneven carpet. Don't think that I would the larger rubber wheels but mainly for aesthetic reasons. Would feel like putting a set of 20" chrome rims on a Honda Civic!
I would put some Daytons on my cab for sure

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

eyeball987 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:17 pm Don't think that I would the larger rubber wheels but mainly for aesthetic reasons. Would feel like putting a set of 20" chrome rims on a Honda Civic!
:lol: yeah I had those thoughts but man, between practice and gigs I take my cab out 3-4x a week so I really needed a way to move it around easier. And it's not really that noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it. But I played a show yesterday and looking at the rig in the video, it just looks like a half-stack :idk:

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Go to Harbor Freight and get one of those little rectangular dollies

https://www.harborfreight.com/material- ... 58316.html

The only cab casters I've found that roll over sidewalks and such are the mesa trac-loc casters. They're kind of a commitment so when I use my 1960s I strap them to one of those dollies until I get to the venue. I've broken off so many of the stock Marshall casters when rolling down uneven pavement I don't like them at all.
Ukraine? Mykraine

JSutter

Post by JSutter »

+1 for the Mesa casters.

Zeegler

Post by Zeegler »

My Mesa O/S cab has some big ass casters on it. They roll really nice. I would guess they're 3" diameter.

For cabs that came without casters I've bought some heavy duty ones from Home Depot, or there are some really decent ones on Amazon. Look for the ones with the harder rubber. I find the soft ones have too much roll resistance and get stuck easily.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I have a dolly like that here. I've used it before and they're great but i hate dealing with straps.....

The Mesa caster are indeed the best but they're super expensive like $140 for a set. It might be the way to go though, if I can't find another cheaper alternative.

I ordered a set of 3" from Amazon :lol: they're the same brand as my 4" so it will be an easy swap since the plates are the same size. Hope that works. :pray: :lol: