NBD - It's Fire

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
devin

Re: NBD - It's Fire

Post by devin »

Fuckin thing rules

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

colejustesen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:41 pm Congrats on the awesome bass! I have two Spectors and love them! One is a Euro 5 and the other is a Korean 4 string - they play and sound killer. For me, a Spector into a GK amp is bass tone heaven.

I have never tried the Haz preamp. The Euro 5 has a Tone Pump Jr. and the Korean has an Aguilar preamp. I thought about getting a Haz clone for it, but I found a preamp from a company called Audere. I planned on installing that one today.

Cole
I have a couple of Euros, an NS4CR that came with an EMG BTS and a Euro 4-35 (4 string with 35" scale) that came with a Tonepump.

I also did something similar in that I bought a Haz clone (LHZ, can give you the contact info if you're interested) back in July and finally installed it a couple days ago.

Anyway, I really like the sound of the Tonepump but hated the EQ on it. I really dug it's mids and the way it would grind a bit when I dug into the strings hard enough. As for the EQ, I kinda felt like there was one good setting and didn't get a lot of versatility out of it. I eventually pulled it and replaced it with a BTS.

I prefer the BTS as I feel like the EQ is more useful. The treble is more of an upper mid boost, and the bass fattens the sound without blowing out my bass amp. If there's a drawback, it's that it's very transparent and doesn't have the midrange character of the Tonepump.

The LHZ is kind of a blend of the two. It has it's own midrange character and will grind as you dig into the strings, however the EQ points are in a more useful frequency range. It's also warmer sounding and lower output than the BTS, so I'm able to get more clarity when running through distortion, which means I can use more distortion and not have all the top end junk masking the midrange chunk.

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

NS4CR (for some reason I'm thinking that on stage this blue with the red one I'm about to get will look crazy next to each other)

Euro 4-35 (tuned BEAD, this was my original attempt to avoid a 5 string, but I'm finally giving in)

colejustesen

Post by colejustesen »

screamingdaisy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm
colejustesen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:41 pm Congrats on the awesome bass! I have two Spectors and love them! One is a Euro 5 and the other is a Korean 4 string - they play and sound killer. For me, a Spector into a GK amp is bass tone heaven.

I have never tried the Haz preamp. The Euro 5 has a Tone Pump Jr. and the Korean has an Aguilar preamp. I thought about getting a Haz clone for it, but I found a preamp from a company called Audere. I planned on installing that one today.

Cole
I have a couple of Euros, an NS4CR that came with an EMG BTS and a Euro 4-35 (4 string with 35" scale) that came with a Tonepump.

I also did something similar in that I bought a Haz clone (LHZ, can give you the contact info if you're interested) back in July and finally installed it a couple days ago.

Anyway, I really like the sound of the Tonepump but hated the EQ on it. I really dug it's mids and the way it would grind a bit when I dug into the strings hard enough. As for the EQ, I kinda felt like there was one good setting and didn't get a lot of versatility out of it. I eventually pulled it and replaced it with a BTS.

I prefer the BTS as I feel like the EQ is more useful. The treble is more of an upper mid boost, and the bass fattens the sound without blowing out my bass amp. If there's a drawback, it's that it's very transparent and doesn't have the midrange character of the Tonepump.

The LHZ is kind of a blend of the two. It has it's own midrange character and will grind as you dig into the strings, however the EQ points are in a more useful frequency range. It's also warmer sounding and lower output than the BTS, so I'm able to get more clarity when running through distortion, which means I can use more distortion and not have all the top end junk masking the midrange chunk.
I appreciate the you mentioning the LHZ preamp... That is the one I was considering before buying the Audere. I have never experienced the HAZ sound, but I really like the Tone Pump in my Euro 5. Hell the Aguilar setup sounds good too, just not what I expect when playing a Spector. At some point I plan on replacing the Aguilar pickups for EMGs in the NS Ethos 4. At that time, I might consider the LHZ preamp (depending on how the Audere matches)

Your basses are sweet!

Cole

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

It has arrived.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

looks even better in your picture!! This top is so killer!!!!

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

Took it out for a spin. All I have is a low res version, but it gets the point across.