What are my options for plastic tuner buttons for this guitar?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
iff

What are my options for plastic tuner buttons for this guitar?

Post by iff »

I have this Orville 335 that I want to swap the tuner buttons to screw on plastic tulips. Pretty sure the tuners are Gotohs and they don't seem to sell the buttons alone. I made the mistake of buying some Kluson buttons before finding out that the shaft is a different size. :facepalm:

I also don't mind replacing the tuners entirely, but I'd like to avoid drilling extra holes and basically all of the tuners with plastic buttons that I've found have been Kluson style. I think pretty much the only solution I've found is those weird Hipshot conversion/rail tuners.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: What are my options for plastic tuner buttons for this guitar?

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'd suggest this:
https://reverb.com/item/31178791-new-go ... 3x3-chrome

Not only they are a drop-in replacement, they have the Magnum self locking system, which I love and use in all my Gibsons.

heath

Post by heath »

Gotoh(at least the locking ones I have) and Grover both are compatible with the hipshot branded buttons. They use the same shaft type and they have a metric ton of options button-wise.

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/gu ... 3356140936

iff

Post by iff »

So I ordered a set of the Hipshot buttons to try and they were also a loose fit, pretty much identical to the Klusons, which makes me wonder if there's just something weird about these tuners. I ended up sticking a tiny rectangular piece of masking tape to each of the flat sides of the tuner shaft to thicken it a bit and now they fit. :thu: I went with the Klusons since I thought they looked the tiniest bit nicer than the Hipshots, they had maybe a bit more texture in the colour.