NGD - LTD AS-1

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
eyeball987

NGD - LTD AS-1

Post by eyeball987 »

Picked this up yesterday. I have been interested in trying one of these out for while but have never really searched one out. This one popped up locally with a hard ESP case for a decent price so why not. Always good to have a beater or two around. Besides, haven't bought anything yet this year.

Excellent condition and only needed to have the strings changed. It was set up in drop C# so that had to go. I keep most of my guitars in E and use a Drop pedal to go to Eb or D. Intonation and the action was still spot on after the change which was nice. Have not plugged it in yet but it feels really good and rings loud acoustically. Not a huge fan of the lighter board but I can live with it. The jumbo frets are nice and the chunky neck feels good. Looking forward to plugging it in this weekend!
Attachments
AS-1 web smaller.jpg
AS-1 web smaller.jpg (73.47 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

Zeegler

Re: NGD - LTD AS-1

Post by Zeegler »

Congrats! I always liked these Alex Skolnick models. I've been close to pulling the trigger on one myself, but would prefer to buy used and save money.

The color reminds me of my Xaviere XV-500

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Awesome NGD! I’m a recent ESP/LTD fan but the Skolnick model always interested me. Sweet guitar, dude!
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

dstroud

Post by dstroud »

nice score man!!

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Observations after playing the new fiddle over the weekend. Plays well and stays in tune. The AS-1 reacts very differently than my #1 LP that has almost the same specs though. Both have JB's in the bridge and 59's in the neck, but the wiring is different between the two. I had all new 50's wiring installed on the LP a few years ago when I put stainless jumbo's on.

The AS-1 wants to be angrier. I can get much better dynamics out of the LP using the volume knob, while the AS-1 has very little change to the tone when backing down the volume, or even when engaging the coil tap. So little difference that I opened it up to see if someone had messed with the wiring. Looked stock to me.

Otherwise it appears to be a keeper for now. I might have to change the wiring though because as is, it should be fairly versatile with the coil taps but instead it is pretty much a one trick angry pony!

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

is the AS full thickness? I've been wanting a full thickness Eclipse for a long time but the MIJ versions are so expensive.

I had a regular Eclipse a few years ago and it was great but I kept missing the thickness of the LP. This one should solve that.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Yes. Full thickness. Basically a full LP spec with I think a slightly flatter radius and jumbo frets. This one is 9.2lbs based on me holding it and standing on the bathroom scale math anyway.

madrigal77

Post by madrigal77 »

Guitarbilly wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:16 pm is the AS full thickness? I've been wanting a full thickness Eclipse for a long time but the MIJ versions are so expensive.

I had a regular Eclipse a few years ago and it was great but I kept missing the thickness of the LP. This one should solve that.
EC-1000T are the full thickness ones with 22 frets. The newer ones even have SS frets.
Guitars:
ESP MX-2 White
ESP Eclipse II Vintage Black
LTD EC-1000T CTM Violet Shadow
Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
Amps:
Fractal FM3 MKII Turbo
Laney LFR-212

Beef

Post by Beef »

That’s nice man. Enjoy it.