Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
NPD, NWBD, INJCD, INSTD: I Can’t Just Leave It Alone 
Hall of Fame Member

Good afternoon,

I was never happy with my Fireman’s wiring - it was a hodgepodge of Fishman Fluence Open Core Classics and EMG parts, stuffed into a cavity that was far too small for any of it. Since I have quite a bit of downtime, I figured I’d fix it. Unfortunately, Fishmans do not work in this guitar. Believe me, I tried. So, I decided to go with passives, and I happened to have a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom 7-string bridge pickup in my box of parts. That meant I needed a neck pickup, which Seymour Duncan had, in the form of an SH-2n Jazz 7-string. I had all of the parts to wire it up, but I also noticed that the screws for the jack plate aren’t holding, so I ordered a new jack cup, and switch tip, from Forney, out in California. They machine threaded jack cups, switch tips and knobs, for Strats and Teles, out of aluminum, and have a nice variety of anodized colors. Since I can’t do burnt chrome, I went with matte silver. I also hate the Floyd Rose bar I had, because it was too close to the body, and the threaded collar kept loosening. I went with an antique silver, press-in model, and it feels so much better, especially right now. It will give me more options in the future, and all future Floyd Rose-equipped guitar purchases, which I don’t plan on doing - will receive this as a Day 1 upgrade.

The Forney parts are at the USPS Madison distribution center, on the east side of town, but won’t be in until tomorrow (USPS says today, but the Floyd bar, which was also delivered USPS, arrived at 10 this morning, so I can’t expect it today).

I had forgotten to mention that, thanks to the pickup swap, I now have a 1/4” hole in the body, between the volume and tone knobs, where a mini-toggle once went. I’m waiting on a hole plug, that should arrive Wednesday.

Eventually, I’ll get a case, and fix the horrible finish, neither of which is a high priority right now. I need to fall back in love with the damn thing first. The humidity is at a level where the frets aren’t as bad (you know what I mean), and it’s holding tune.

Pics will follow, and I will edit this post when they’re ready.

Thank you.

Mon May 02, 2022 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]